I have an ASUS ux310uq and I cannot get the usb-c to work -

Customer Question
Hello, I have an...

Hello, I have an ASUS ux310uq and I cannot get the usb-c to work - I'm trying to connect two monitors to my laptop - one through HDMI, and another through usb-c to HDMI

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

ASUS ux310U, running windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your UX310U? Have you installed any updates recently?

I've update all usb drivers (will all being up to date) and also turned off any power saving options that may affect operation of the usb ports. Even If just try to connect one screen through usb c (to HDMI adapatar) i get no signal I checked the adapter and it does work on another laptop.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
1/9/2018
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

When you plug in the adapter does Windows 10 recognize it is plugged in?

What is the operating system of the computer that recognizes the adapter?

What is the exact make and model of the adapter?

Do you still need assistance?

Hello David,
Yes, I still do.
When I plug the adapter in Windows 10 does not recognize it. The adapter does work on another laptop (operating system also windows 10).The model of the adapter is "Alogic USB-C to HDMI adapter with charging"

Ok, thanks.

Next click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type:

devmgmt.msc

in the Search box and press Enter. When the Device Manager window appears, click to expand USB then plug in the adapter. If there is no change, right click on the USB item and click Scan for Hardware Changes and it should then find the adapter.

Ok just did that. When I plug in the adapter there is no change. When I click "Scan for Hardware Changes" there is also no change...

You only have one USB-C port correct?

only one. One thing to note is that it does not have the lighting bolt symbol next to it, so it's a USB-C, but not thunderbolt. See: https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/ASUS-Zenbook-UX310UQ/

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** moment...

Ok, so some ASUS laptops have that port but do not support display passthrough - your model does support it so next reboot the computer and tap on the F2 key until the BIOS screen appears. Select the Advanced tab then click the USB configuration. Check to see if there are any options related to USB-C and display passthrough. If not, go to the Save and Exit tab and select Restore Defaults, then power down, remove and replace the battery with the charger cord removed, then plug in the power cord and power up the laptop and then plug the adapter back in to test and see if the issue is resolved.

I went into the BIOS and in the USB configuration there was nothing related to USB-C. The only options were "Legacy USB support" (which was enabled) and "USB Mass storage driver SUpport (also enabled). I didn't quite understand the last part of your message:> "If not, go to the Save and Exit tab and select Restore Defaults, then power down, remove and replace the battery with the charger cord removed, then plug in the power cord and power up the laptop "What did you mean by "remove and replace the battery"? The battery of the laptop I would need to remove by taking in apart...What did do: After "restoring defaults" in the BIOS I did power down, disconnect the charger for a few seconds, plug it back in and powered up. No change - (usb-c adapter not recognized in Device Manager). I also tried plugging in a Monitor via this adapter and there was no HDMI signal.

After I sent the message I realized that you cannot remove the battery easily - so please disregard.

The BIOS reset was correct - since there are no settings in the BIOS related to the USB-C port.

Do you have another USB-C device you can use to test the port and verify basic functionality?

Also, in Device Manager, are there any devices listed with a yellow warning sign next to them either in the USB section or in another devices section, when the adapter is plugged in?

I Don't have another USB-C device with me so I can't check this. There is nothing in the Device Manager under USB that has a yellow warning sign. It is as if the USB-C port just does not function

Yes, which is why I was thinking that if you have another USB-C device or cable you could test the port.

Also, in Device Manager check under the other all other device sections such as Display Adapters for a device listed that has a yellow warning sign by it because if Windows cannot load the drivers it also cannot recognize the device so could place it anywhere in the Device Manager listing.

I will need to see if anyone at work has a usb-c device... So far no luck. In device manager I expanded all of the device sections (with the usb-c to HDMI adapter plugged in) and there are no yellow warning signs.

Ok, so should I wait to hear back from you tomorrow on the status?

I'll let you know tomorrow, thanks

Ok, sounds good.

David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer