Unable to adjust the brightness of my computer monitor. I am…

Customer Question
Unable to adjust the...

Unable to adjust the brightness of my computer monitor. I am using Windows 10 and there is no brightness adjustment in settings. I have tried updating the display adaptor driver and it makes no difference.

Technician's Assistant: What version of Windows are you running on your computer or device?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Does your computer have an On-Screen Display button for brightness?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I also tried restoring my computer to its settings prior to the last windows update but again no luck.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer
1/9/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Can you give me the make and model of your computer please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a Dell intel pc

Okay. Do you know the model of your Dell?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Inspiron 545 MT

Okay, give me a minute please.

There should be a display adjustment if you open settings and click on System. Have you checked there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have and there is no adjustment. I have also gone in to device manager and display adapter and updated the driver. That didn’t work so I tried disabling and reenabling which also didn’t work. Then I tried updating the monitor adapter with no luck. Last thing I tried was restoring also with no luck.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also just disconnected my monitor and cleaned the connections and reconnected. No change.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Can you check the for a service tag and give me the number please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
F5GDNL1

Thank you.

Are you using a Dell monitor?

Okay

Can you give me the model of the monitor as well please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dell 23” ST2310 full HD widescreen

Thanks

Have you tried adjusting the brightness using the adjustment level on the monitor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no adjustment on the monitor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have looked all over the monitor and the only button I the on/off switch

They should be located on the side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My mistake, yes I found the adjustment on the monitor but when I adjust it up and down it makes no difference.

I am sending you the LINK for the manual for the monitor. That might make it a little easier for you to adjust.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I opened the link you sent and tried
all the adjustments. I am still unable to adjust the brightness.
Could my monitor be on the way out? I have no tell tale lines or wavy spots.

Possible? Have you disconnected power and let is set for several minutes?

Is this the first time you have tried to adjust the brightness?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is the first time. I have tried turning it off and on but maybe not for long enough. I am turning it off now

Don't just turn it off. Disconnect the power.

Leave it unplugged for a good 10 to 15 minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just turned my computer back on and there is no change.

Did you disconnect power from the computer or the monitor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both.
I turned off the power bar

Okay. I would just continue using the monitor as is until it finally dies, although monitors are not that expensive these days depending on what you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

My pleasure! Have a good night!

Dan, Computer Support Specialist