I did an upgrade of Windows 10 on my desktop computer which…

Customer Question
I did an upgrade...

I did an upgrade of Windows 10 on my desktop computer which has two users. When it completed it will only open one of the users. The other one is blocked and it refuses the sign-in ID. The other one signs in without an ID (perhaps never had one). How do I get the user back on the computer?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your laptop?

Asus but specially built

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Asus? Have you installed any updates recently?

I just said that I updated Windows 10

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 1 month ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I look forward to helping you today.

As far as the problem account goes, do you know if it is a local account or did you attach a Microsoft Account to it?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't even know what this means? I have one user name called Don Basler and another called User when the computer boots up. After the upgrade the Don Basler option, which requires a security log in refuses to accept the security password ***** let me in.

When you attempt to log into the problem account, what happens?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It acts like it is going to open and then I get a gray box with a message saying that it won't let me in

What does the gray box say?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you going to sign in?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't remember and I can't see it now.

I attempted to accept the remote request. I am sorry to report, but it appears that your bank or credit card company is blocking the payment. You will have to contact your bank or credit card company, let them know that the payment is okay to be processed and that they need to remove the block. Once the block is removed, you may click the "Accept this Offer" button once more to accept.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are we having a problem with payment? I checked it and it is up to date?

Do you see a button above that says "Update Payment Information"?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is nothing wrong with the payment information. Can you help me with this log in problem or not!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a number that I can call for help with this?

The page is telling me that there is a problem with the payment.

Do you have a button that says "Update Payment Info"?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not your fault, the bank declined to allow the charge to the account because they consider you suspicious. Sorry, perhaps I can try again at another time unless you can continue to help me on line without taking control.

We can try again at your choice of time. We can do it now or at a later time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Later, I am upset now.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a number I can call for help?

Thank you. I am here 12 to 16 hours every day. My day begins at 6am (PST).

You asked for a number for help. You want help with this problem via the phone?

I will opt out of the question and allow another expert the chance to talk with you on the phone.

I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Tech Support Specialist: RussellA, Information Systems Manager replied 1 month ago
RussellA
RussellA, Information Systems Manager
  1. On touch interfaces, the easiest way to open Control Panel in Windows 10 or Windows 8 is via its link on the Start menu (or Apps screen in Windows 8), but the Power User Menu is probably faster if you have a keyboard or mouse.

1. On Windows 10, touch or click on the User Accounts link (it's called User Accounts and Family Safety in Windows 8).

Note: If the View by setting is on Large icons or Small icons, then you won't see this link. Touch or click the User Accounts icon instead and skip to Step 4.

2. Touch or click User Accounts.

3. Several links down on the Make changes to your user account area of the User Accounts window, touch or click on Manage another account.

4. Touch or click on the user you want to change the password *****

Tip: If you don't see Password ***** listed somewhere under the username then that user doesn't have a password ***** and should be able to login without entering anything in the password *****

5. Now that you're in the Make changes to [username]'s account screen, touch or click on Change the password.

Tip: Don't see a Change the password link? This probably means that the user you want to change the password ***** logs into Windows 10 or Windows 8 with a Microsoft account, not a "traditional" local account. This is actually good news, as it's even easier to reset a Microsoft account password. See How to Reset Your Microsoft Account Password for help.

6. On the Change [username]'s password screen, enter a new password ***** both the first and second text boxes.

1. In the last text box, you're asked to Type a password *****. This is not required.

Tip: Since you're probably changing this person's password ***** them because they've forgotten it, it's fine if you want to skip the hint. Once this user has access to Windows 8/10 again, have them change their password ***** something more private and set up a hint then.

2. Touch or click the Change password button to save the password *****

3. You can now close the Change an Account window and any other open windows.

4. Sign out, or restart the computer, and have the person you reset the password ***** try logging in to Windows 8 or 10 again.

1. Once logged in, be proactive and either have the user create a Windows 8 or Windows 10 password ***** disk or switch to a Microsoft account, either of which will provide an easier way to get a new password ***** the future.

I take pride in providing quick solutions to your inquiries. If you are satisfied please mark this as answered, and leave me a rating and feedback. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried everything I could. but I really can't follow your directions very well. My start menu just doesn't work after I did the Windows 10 upgrade. I give up!
Tech Support Specialist: Byron, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

If a big Windows update caused all these problems see if you can roll it back this way:

On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key to the left of the spacebar and press the letter i

This will open the Settings window.

Click Update & Security

From the vertical menu on the left select Recovery.

On the right, under "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10"

click Get Started

Select a reason for going back and continue

(don't check for updates)

follow the prompts to start the rollback.

This will put the computer back to the way it was before the update.

If necessary we can do a phone call on 1/9.

Byron
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist