I can't connect my mac to my printer and need help cuz my…

Customer Question
Hey Pearl, I...

Hey Pearl, I can't connect my mac to my printer and need help cuz my son needs things printed for a project due tomorrow. Its an Hp Officejet 4630

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your OfficeJet: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly It used to work

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Mac Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

Customer:***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
1/8/2018
Tech Support Specialist: RussellA, Information Systems Manager replied 3 months ago
RussellA
RussellA, Information Systems Manager

I know you mentioned it used to work, but to make sure and getting you connected again, we will need to go through the all of these steps, please.

Step 1: Prepare for installation

Before setting up the printer on your wireless network, gather the network name and password, and turn on your router, printer, and computer.

1. Gather the following items:

• Network name: The network name is ***** ***** (Service Set Identifier).

• Network password: The password ***** also be called the WEP key or WPA security passphrase.

• A computer connected to your wireless network

• Internet access: HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL for software downloads, using Web Services, and getting printer updates.

2. Make sure the router and computer are turned on, and that the computer is connected to the same wireless network to which you want to connect the printer. Turn on the printer and place it close to the computer and within range of the router during the setup procedure.

3. Disconnect any USB or Ethernet cables from the printer.

Step 2: Connect the printer to the wireless network

The Wireless Setup Wizard provides an easy way to set up and manage the wireless connection to your printer.

1. On the printer control panel, press the Wireless button .

The Wireless menu displays.

2. Press the selection button next to Settings.

3. Press the down arrow to select Restore Defaults, and then press OK.

4. Press OK again to confirm your selection.

5. Press the Wireless button , and then press the selection button next to Settings.

6. Press the down arrow to select Wireless Setup Wizard, and then press OK.

The printer searches for available wireless networks.

7. Press the down arrow to select the name of your wireless network, and then press OK.

8. Follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Step 3: Download and install the driver

Download and install the most current version of your printer full feature software from the HP website.

1. Go to 123.hp.com.

2. Type your printer model into the Enter your device's model number to begin box.

3. Select your printer from the dropdown menu, and then click Begin.

4. Click Download.

5. When the download is complete, click the file named xxxx.dmg in the browser downloads bar or in the downloads folder to launch the installer.

Figure : Example of the xxxx.dmg file in the browser downloads bar

Figure : Example of the xxxx.dmg file in the Mac downloads folder

6. In the installer window, double click HP Inkjet SW.

Figure : Example of HP Inkjet SW in the installer window

7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

8. When prompted, close the installation software.

The HP Utility software opens.

9. In the HP Utility Setup window, select the name of your printer, and then click Continue.

10. Click Add Printer.

The Add window displays.

11. Click the name of your printer.

Make sure you select the printer that has Bonjour listed under Kind.

12. Click the Use or Print Using menu, and then select the name of your printer in the drop-down menu.

13. Figure : Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

14. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

15. In the installer Add Printer window, click Continue.

16. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the printer setup, and then click Done.

If you need visual snapshots of these steps, please follow this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04885584

I take pride in providing quick solutions to your inquiries. If you are satisfied please mark this as answered, and leave me a rating and feedback. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.

The problem I'm having is that it is giving me instructions for windows and not a mac. Also, I do not know what a WPA/WEP is exactly or where to find it.
I don't think I can do this and nothing so far has worked.
Thanks for your help but it is not working or sufficient
Tech Support Specialist: Shefin, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please follow the instructions given below.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the Printers & Scanners. window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.
    Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer/p>
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist