I was attempting to install Office 365. a Personal 1 year…

Customer Question
I was attempting to...

I was attempting to install Office 365. a Personal 1 year subscription that included Word, Excel and some other features. I was instructed to go to the website www.office.com/setup, which I did. The site showed that it was a Microsoft site. When I attempted to enter the product code, it gave me an error message, 3 times. I called the support number lited 1-***-***-****. I was told by a support person, Mike, that I had a network infection, that not only infected my personal computer but my tablet and mobile phone as well.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change the password ***** passcode to your device?

I was then told I had no firewall and I could buy a 3 year subscription plan, and they would clean the infection and set up a firewall. I became suspicious when I was told to ONLY call back the two support people that were involved for further assistance at one of 2 numbers given to me; the aforementioned one and 1-***-***-****. Have I been scammed???? I changed my password ***** months ago.

Technician's Assistant: Is there a Gmail address linked to your device?

Also, they were very reluctant to cancel the go assist feature AND I still do not have the Office 365 Personal Subscription loaded. My e-mail IS: ***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?

I apologise for not introducing myself first. My name is***** YOU

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
1/5/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

This is absolutely a scam, it is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. That phone number is ***** microsoft but a scam company pretending to be microsoft. Your computer does not report its status to anyone. Usually what will happen is once you are in contact with them they will lie to you about issues that your computer does not have such as it is being hacked or has viruses. They will then attempt to charge you many hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues.

Did you pay them any money?