I have windows 10 on a new asus laptop and I want to remove…

Customer Question
I have windows 10...

I have windows 10 on a new asus laptop and I want to remove it and have windows 7 installed instead. Is this possible?

Technician's Assistant: What Asus model do you have?

A541U is the only number I can find at the moment. Sorry but Im not into computers so I don"t know too much as all.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Asus? Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, it has used up about 50 GB of updating since I bought it mid November. I'm finding it very difficult to keep up with buying more data all the time from Telstra

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
1/4/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 7 months ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Yes, its very much possible. However, I see that your issue is with Updates that the Windows is downloading. This is causing more data consumption. Instead of moving to Windows 7, you can control the amount of updates you are taking on Windows 10. Please note, even if you move to Windows 7, the system will still take security updates and patches the same way Windows 10 is doing. The best thing, I guess is to control the updates on Windows 10.

Alternatively, we can perform a Clean format of your laptop and do a Windows 7 Fresh installation. For that we need Windows 7 installation disc, do you have one? Do let me know.

Thanks,

Kumar

No I don't have a Wndows 7 disc - my old computer had XP. However if I can control the updates from 10 and allow them only when I have free wi fi our such, I believe that would solve the problem, wouldn;t it?

That will. However, do note to connect to free WIFI whenever possible to get updates.

Here are the instructions to disable the same :

1) Press WINDOWS Key on Keyboard and R Key simultaneously.

2) Type services.msc

3) A services window will appear.

4) Look for WINDOWS UPDATE.

5) Right click on it. Go to Properties.

6) From Start-up Type Dropdown, select DISABLED.

7) If Service Status is Running, click on STOP.

8) Press OK to apply.

Please try the same and do let me know in case you face any issues. Please do not forget to rate me at the end. Your ratings are the only way I am credited for my hardwork.

Thanks,

Kumar

Please let me know if this helped.