My wife's computer has stopped running. The Microsoft

Customer Question
My wife's computer has...

My wife's computer has stopped running. The Microsoft message says the Microsoft system has expired.

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

What is the version before version 10

Technician's Assistant: The Software Technician will be able to walk you through that. Which software or app can I help with?

Wwhat do you mean?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your software?

Nothing the system just shut down showing that Windows was no longer able to run

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

As I have said the computer my wife resign in the states shutdown with a message that the Microsoft system has expired. That's all we know at this point to be clear I am in Australia trying to find out the answer why it shutdown via the message she received in the US on her computer

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
1/4/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. This sounds like a possible virus. There are many scam microsoft messages that sometimes people receive on the phone or computer that say their license has expired but the fact is the license to use windows does not expire. Has she described this as a pop up blocking the screen?

Does this mean she should just shut down her computer and restart it

Yes if she has not done so yet that would be a good first move to see if this is just a pop up generated by a website she may have ended up on. If it returns then she is likely infected with a virus which will need to be removed.

Have her restart and report back if it shows up again but the fact is microsoft does not shut down computers. Most likely there is a phone number attached to that message which would lead to a scam company fronting as microsoft that would charge between $500 and $1000 to fix it. Let me know how it goes.