I had windows 7 and used the free upgrade to windows 10.

Customer Question
I had windows 7...

I had windows 7 and used the free upgrade to windows 10. Changed motherboard and now it says I need to activate windows. However, when I do, it says I need to pay. why?

Technician's Assistant: What exactly are you having trouble accessing?

I had windows 7 and used the free upgrade to windows 10. Changed motherboard and now it says I need to activate windows. However, when I do, it says I need to pay. why??

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

It is a custom build computer

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I changed the motherboard out last night and I am getting the activation message today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Again I have a valid copy of windows 7 and took advantage of the free upgrade to 10

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer
12/31/2017
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 6 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

The issue you describe is a limitation of the Windows licensing service. The best way to resolve the issue used to be to contact Microsoft directly and let them know you had to change hardware. Now however there is a new procedure you can follow to resolve the issue without contacting Microsoft. Please click the link below and follow the instructions to activate Windows 10 on the new hardware:

click here

If you have questions about any of the steps just let me know.

Do you need further assistance?