Just opened my new surface pro 4 and while doing the start…

Customer Question
Just opened my new...

Just opened my new surface pro 4 and while doing the start up got a message to update windows 10. It said it may take 3 hour8 hours s to complete. Per the Windows 10 update assistant to it got to 90% in the first 2 hours but took about 4 more hours to register 99% and now 8 hours later is still on 99% with the message to not turn off or remove the power. Please advise.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Surface pro 4

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Surface Pro? What have you tried so far?

Because of the message to leave on that is all I have done. It just says 99% complete.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer
12/31/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 months ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your update. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question."

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10?

Windows 10

Unplug the computer from the wall and take out the battery if applicable while the pc is on.
(only skip battery portion if you are on desktop or non removable battery on a laptop. Do the rest)
Hold down the power button for a full minute.

Put battery back in if applicable for your model, plug back into wall and restart normally.

Tell me exactly what you see on your screen and if you can get to a desktop.

Seems extreme for the first time I have used this surface pro 4. I would rather take it back than to start with your instruction.

The only thing that those steps are is a power cycle, but if you prefer to go through another company due to being

worried about a simple steps like this, it may ease your mind to do that. It is up to you.

You can reply to continue if you change your mind after you contact the company or end the issue here.

Have a great day! Happy new yr!