My NewPage tab had become cluttered with icons I don't want.

Customer Question
My NewPage tab had...

My NewPage tab had become cluttered with icons I don't want. I just want the plan search box. How do I get it back? My menu bar above the address bar has disappeared. how do I get it back?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Firefox on my desktop

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Firefox?

Last time they told me a new release was out

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

No. If I can get my menu back, I can get to the add-ons and get rid of the stuff Norton added when it updated. :-( I wish software would tell you what it wants to install and let you choose which ones to skip.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

Which search page do you want the browser to open to? Google?

Google absolutley

Okay, do you know what version of Firefox you're running? Is it the newest version?

If I can get my menu back, I can get to the add-ons and fix the rest of the stuff. I prefer to do it myself

Okay, do you know what version of Firefox you're running?

You are supposed to be a Firefox expert. How can I get my Firefox menu back?

Are you still with me?

Did you see my previous question?

I asked two times if you know what version of Firefox you're running. Are you seeing my responses?

How would I find out? The Menu is gone along with the Help button on it.

Let's take a guess and say it's probably the new one.

Give me just a minute to get some instructions for you so we can try to restore your menu bar.

but still no menu

Please try these steps to restore the menu bar:

1. Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard and press the V key. This should bring you the View menu at the top.

2. In the View menu, click on Toolbars, and then in the pop-out menu click on Menu Bar.

Try that and tell me if that restores your menu bar. I still stand by.

Still with me? Any luck with that?

Absolutely nothing new appears when I press Alt-V

Okay, and you're inside of Firefox right now?

How can the View menu show up when there is no menu bar?

When you press Alt + V then it should bring up the View Menu. It's not that the menu doesn't exist, it's that it's hidden.

But let's try another approach:

At the very top of Firefox, in the empty space where new tabs might show up, then right-click and this should bring up a pop-up menu. One of the options should say Menu Bar. Select that.

Try that and let me know what happens.

I am using Firefox now. It is the only browser I use unless I am required to use a different one.

Okay, did you see my last set of instructions?

Try that and let me know what happens.

Any luck with that?

No, but the fraud detection department of my credit card company inquired about your charge of $32. Hmm I thought I authorized €4. Maybe I should tell them.

I don't work for JustAnswer and am an independent Expert. Therefore, I am not authorized to answer any questions about your account or charges made. For that you would need to speak with Customer Service.

But usually the initial payment is your "good faith" deposit and then you authorize the full charge for the question on the next page.

No, I do NOT want anyone connecting to my computer!

Okay, we don't seem to be getting anywhere with our troubleshooting here, and it seems like you might not be seeing all my responses, so what I'm going to do is opt out of the question and open it up for other Experts to assist you.

You will be notified when there's another reply.

Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will help you with this.

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/
Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Also, this issue can be complicated. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.

- Do you have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, 10, or Mac computer?

- Can you right-click near the very top edge in Firefox, then a menu should appear, then click on the option Menu Bar, then the menu bar should appear.

- If that does not work, please click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner in Firefox. Then you will see all the menus there, including Add-ons.

- In Firefox, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right, then click on Options. Then select option Show your home page. Then in the Home page field, delete everything in it, then type google.com then close Firefox and re-open it and check.

- If needed, in Firefox, open a your NewPage tab, then click on the gear / wheel icon near the upper right corner if shown, then uncheck all the options there, except for the option Search.
- If needed, how about with a small amount as shown for direct remote support?
Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,