I am having problems transferring video on DVD-R to my

Customer Question
Hi,I am having problems transferring...
Hi,I am having problems transferring video on DVD-R to my computer hard drive. What I do is transfer video from my VHS recorder to a DVD-R, and then using TMPGEnc Smart Render 4 transfer and then edit the software to my PC. Then I can upload to YouTube. I have done this for years; however, now I am either getting stuck at a certain percentage of transfer; e.g., 60%, or getting a cyclic redundancy error; i.e., Date error (cyclic redundancy check). Exception from HRRESULT: 0x80070017. I get the same whether using Sony or Verbatim DVD-R; whether I use the DVD drive or Blu-Ray Drive; or whether I use the C drive or an external drive. However, sometimes it still works. I think in those cases it is where I transfer less than the full 60 minutes; e.g., 30 minuts recording. Can you help me? Thanks!
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer
12/31/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Sheri, Expert replied 1 month ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi Customer,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. It sounds to me like there may be an issue with the DVD drive if this is happening occasionally. Do you have another computer you can try copying the same disk to and see if you get the CRC error? If the problem only occurs on that computer, I'd suggest cleaning the laser lens in the drive, checking the data cable on that drive for loose fit, tarnished contacts or simply a faulty data cable, or try another optical drive.

I will wait to hear back from you.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As noted in my question, this is occurring whether the DVD-R is in the DVD drive or the Blu-Ray drive. I tried importing a past DVD and it worked fine. Therefore, perhaps a problem with my DVD recorder? Do you have any knowledge of this? Thanks.

Thanks for the update. Yes, that sounds correct. If you have ruled out that the same error occurs in other drives you try copying in and it occurs with other disks of different files, then it very well could be the recorder. Can you tell me the file system you are using to saving on the computer's hard drive, as well as the external hard drive? Since you mentioned it works when transferring smaller files (30 min recordings vs 60 min). Some file systems have size limitations, such as FAT32 file system.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not know the file system used on the PC or the external hard drive. How can I tell. I can tell you that this has not been a problem before. If the recorder, then why will does it still work with shorter videos? Do I need more room on my C: drive. Currently have about 260 GB free out of 1,8 TB, and on external HD 677 GB free out of 2,72 TB. I would think that would be enough room. Should I save only to computer HD or is external drive just as good. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
BY the way, when put past recorded DVD-R of close to 60 minutes, the software works fine in transferring to HD for editing,
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chance I received a couple bunches of bad DVD-R from Amazon?

Yes, it is also a possibility that the disks are bad. Try using unstoppable copier to copy from the DVD to the computer. It is a free download. It is a great copier that can get past many errors. Below is a link to the download:

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Getting cyclic redundancy error check notices. Solution? Thanks.

At this point, it sounds like a good possibility of either the occasional bad disk or corrupt files. I would just suggest you recopy the file to a new disk and try again.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Happening on most DVD-R, Not sure what mean by corrupt files, but have tried several DVD-R that will get stuck or get cyclic redundancy notice. And even several DVD-R that when go to finalize get a cannot record on this disk message. Not usre how to remedy the situation,

Can you try ISO Buster? There should be a free download you can use. I have used it in the past to copy videos that otherwise wouldn't copy from DVD-R.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sheri,You have mentioned both Roadkil and ISO Buster. Is one better than the other? Regardless, either seems to be a Band-Aid at best. I need to find out why I am having these problems. Thanks.

They are both good utilities. In these situations, different utilities work for different issues, so it is always good to have a few to try. The only way to definitively know the issue is to swap out everything and methodically eliminate possibilities. I know you mentioned in the beginning that it is the same regardless of the drive or type of disk. Are you using the same cables when you use different drives? Often times the cable, itself can be the culprit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can tell you that I can successfully input DVD-R recorded months ago from VHS tapes; however, I cannot with recent DVD-R created from VHS tapes. I usually get stuck in the editing process at a certain process and./or a cyclic redundancy error. So not sure what the problem. If cables then I would think the past DVD-R would not transfer successfully to my computer's hard drive. Frustrating because I have a lot on VHS tapes that I want to put on DVD-R then transfer to PC for uploading to YouTube. Thanks.

For some reason, my instinct points to the recorder you are creating the DVD-R's with. Is the VHS recorder the type that has the DVD built into the same box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, the VHS recorder is an excellent Mits. Recorder (no longer record with it thought), while the DVD-Player/Recorder is a Phillips model. How can isolate and fix the problem? Thanks!

Hi Customer,

After doing the analysis with you and suggesting possibilities, the only definitive way I know is to start methodically ruling out each device, one by one at the hardware level, first and then testing a large sample after each change. At this point, I have exhausted all my ideas. I think you may be better served further if I opt out and open this question up to other Technicians. i will do so now and hopefully another Technician will have a different idea that may be able to narrow down and isolate and fix the problem.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Sheri
Sheri
Sheri, Expert