Another computer on my home network came up with a message…

Customer Question
Another computer on my...

Another computer on my home network came up with a message saying that it has a Trojan and to call 1-***-***-****. It says that that is a help number for Microsoft and I don't know whether that is true.

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

The computers are all running windows 10 pro.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

This just occurred a few minutes ago, and I haven't tried anything yet. I wanted to authenticate the number before calling it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer
12/30/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today.

That is a bogus alert by a malicious party not associated with Microsoft in any way. They cold call or show fake alerts/popups to try and trick users into allowing them access to their PCs and paying for their rogue "services."
Your system is just fine as long as you do not contact this party or allow them access in any way; just close out these types of popups as they come. You may restart that computer now and the popup will not show up again.

Also, you may install a free adblocker for your browser to prevent these types of alerts from showing up in the future, using the following link:
www.adblockplus.org

NOTE:

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, kindly take a moment to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of this page before you leave today. Thank you,

This is not what I thought it was. I would like a refund and nothing further.

OK, no issues - will process a full refund for you now. Please do NOT submit a rating for this question; thank you.