I am trying to find a driver for an HP Apollo p-2100u

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find a driver for an HP Apollo p-2100u printer and all I can find are for Windows XP. I have a windows 7 operating system. Is it possible to get it to work?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

The manufacturer is Gigabyte. The computer name is i5System-PC

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

I just tried to download the driver for XP since I can't find anything else

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
12/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

Hello! I am looking into this right now. It won't show I am typing but I am only working on your question.

What is the model number of the printer?

Ah, I was confused by the description because of Gigabyte and then the other model number. I see it is HP Apollo p-2100u

I am still looking into this for you. Sorry it's taking so long.

The printer I am trying to connect is HP Apollo p-2100u, the PC manufacturer is Gigabyte.

Thank you. Well, after looking into this for you, it doesn't look good. It looks like HP stopped support this device which is why you only have the XP driver. You may run into issues if you try to install it on Windows 7. Did you find that driver from HP directly because I didn't see it on their site and I would be careful if you downloaded it from another site. I hate to to be the one with bad news, but you may need to replace your printer with one that is currently supported with the new Windows operating systems.

Before we end on bad news, did you have the original driver that came with the printer on a CD? There is a way to install it through a legacy area in Windows that we can try.

Here are the instructions I have to add a legacy printer to Windows 7.

A pre-step is to unplug the printer from the computer and reboot. We're going to trick it to accept the printer.

1. If you’ve found a downloadable driver package or a CD that came with the device, look for a Setup program and run it. This option places the driver files on your hard disk and simplifies later installation steps.

2. Connect the new hardware to your computer. Then restart.

3. Open Device Manager, select any item in the list of installed devices, and then click Add Legacy Hardware on the Action menu.

4. Click Next to skip past the Welcome screen. On the next wizard screen, choose how you want to select the device to be installed.

• For printers, choose Search For And Install The Hardware Automatically (Recommended). After you click Next, the wizard quickly runs a detection module that searches for anything on its list of non–Plug and Play devices. If it finds the new device, it installs the driver automatically, and your work is finished. If the wizard doesn’t find any new hardware, you’ll be prompted to click Next and look manually.
  • If you have a driver on a disc, skip the detection process. Choose Install The Hardware That I Manually Select From A List (Advanced) and click Next.

5. From the Common Hardware Types list, select a hardware category (or the inclusive Show All Devices category) and click Next.

6. From the master list of available drivers, select the device manufacturer and the correct model. Click Next to continue. Follow the prompts to complete the wizard.

I just wanted to follow up to see if these steps helped you any. Please let me know!

Cabletech
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist