I have received two robocalls today 12/27 from "Microsoft…

Customer Question
I have received two...

I have received two robocalls today 12/27 from "Microsoft Windows" telling me that someone in Ohio is attempting to access my computer. Is this how Microsoft really operates? How to verify???

Technician's Assistant: What exactly are you having trouble accessing?

Technician's Assistant: The Computer Technician will be able to walk you through that. The Computer Technician will be able to walk you through that. What Microsoft model do you have? And the version of Windows?

We have new HP All-In-One compuer with Windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pavilion? Have you installed any updates recently?

No updates recently. Computer was cleaned & optimized 2 weeks ago by Best Buy Geek Squad.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I do not want to be connected. I just wanted to know if Microsoft actually does these types of robocalls?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer
12/27/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These phone calls are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where someone will call you and tell you that you have some kind of problem either with your Microsoft account or your computer. The whole thing just a ploy to either get personal information or money from you.

Microsoft has issued a public statement about these scams and the company does not contact customers directly in this way. All contact over the phone must first be initiated by the customer.

Many people are receiving these calls right now, so you are not the only one. If you receive calls like this in the future, simply ignore them.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.