I get a message saying you were hacked and my computer will…

Customer Question
I get a message...

I get a message saying you were hacked and my computer will be frozen.

Technician's Assistant: What exactly is frozen or not starting up for you?

So far nothing but the message happens ever so often. Were you hacked or has someone hacked me

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Dell inspiron / I use computers but know little about tech

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Inspiron?

What is an operating system

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your Inspiron? Have you installed any updates recently?

When this first happened I called a number and they said all would be well

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/23/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These pop-up messages are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that your computer has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need to call a number to have the problem fixed. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement. If you call the number, as it sounds like you learned for yourself, you'll talk to someone (probably with a foreign accent) who will try to sell you on some kind of support services you don't actually need.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Microsoft or HP or some other well known company. This is always a lie. These major companies never contact customers directly and the customer is always the one who has to initiate contact.

If you receive these messages in the future, simply close them out.

If it won't let you close it out, then you can just hold down the power button on your computer for 5 to 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown. Once you restart your computer the message should be gone.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.