I forgot the user password and need to reset it, I can't get…

Customer Question
I forgot the user...

I forgot the user password ***** need to reset it

Technician's Assistant: What exactly are you having trouble accessing?

I can't get into the computer

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Acer Aspire 4730z Windows Vista

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Aspire? Have you installed any updates recently?

This is a computer I haven't used for years which is why I don't remember the login password ***** took the back off and took the battery out, I got into the BIOS information I believe from watching Youtube and thought I reset it. After restarting however it still asked me for the password ***** I don't have

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Computer
12/21/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. This can be a very difficult problem to get around however I can provide with some information you can try on your own however your easiest solution may be to just bring it to a repair shop.

This method of recovering the password ***** or may not work, it really depends on how complex of a password ***** were using. You will also need a few things to attempt this, you will need a computer with a CD burner as well as a blank CD. I will provide you the steps on what to do but honestly if you feel like these steps are over your head your quickest solution may be to just take the computer to your local repair shop and have them get you into the computer, this is a relatively cheap fix at most shops.

Now if you want to try yourself here is what you need to do.

First check if by chance the computers default administrator account is enabled, if it is you can use that to reset the password. Here is how you check:

Restart your PC, and keep tapping the F8 keyboard button.

When you arrive at the safe mode prompt choose Safe Mode with Networking. Now Windows will start in Safe Mode. Select the default Administrator account from the login, the password ***** be left blank. If you can log in with this account or any other administrator account click start choose control panel, click users and change the password ***** the locked account.

If you do not have the administrator account or any other accounts besides guest follow the instructions below.

1. Download and save this free password ***** tool here http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd Click the Ophcrack Vista LiveCD

2. Once that download has finished download this free burning program http://cdburnerxp.se/

3. Install then open the Cdburnerxp program and select Burn ISO Image Add the ophcrack ISO file you saved earlier to this blank disk

4. Once you have created the bootable ophcrack CD place that into the locked computer and start the machine. You will need to boot from the CD so look for a message on the computer that says "Press any key to boot from CD"

5. If done correctly the ophcrack program will start scanning and when finished it will show you all the passwords it was able to find.

As I said depending on the complexity of the password ***** may or may not be able to get it. In this case I suggest you take the computer to your local repair shop where they have the equipment to easily get around the password.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

what can I try at home?
what about a factory reset?

You could try if you don't mind losing the data on the machine. To attempt factory reset do the following:

1. Plug in the AC adapter and battery.
  2. Turn the system on
  3. Immediately, press ALT on the keyboard and start tapping F10.
    Continue holding ALT and tapping F10 as the unit boots up.
  4. A screen stating "Starting Acer Erecovery" should appear.
    (Release ALT and stop tapping F10 at this point)
  5. Choose the first option:
    1. Restore system to factory default
Chris L., Support Specialist