I have a problem getting the PCIEX16/X8_3 slot on my Rampage…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem getting the PCIEX16/X8_3 slot on my Rampage V Edition 10 to go back to linking at 16. I understood when it dropped down. But now that I've removed extra components, it won't go back up to 16.

Technician's Assistant: What computer or device are you having trouble syncing?

Sorry. Didn't mean to hit enter and cause the send so soon. I need to explain further in my next message.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

I'm running 2 NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti's in PCIE slots 1 and 3. Been working perfectly. I also have a Samsung 960 Pro sitting in the mobo M.2 slot, and I had 2 additional storage devices ( both NVME's ) sitting in pCIE slots. My Intel core i7-6900 has only 40 lanes, and when I added the 3rd NVME device, it made the total 44 lanes, and so PCIE slot 3 dropped back from 16 to 8. I get it. I have a custom built system running WIN 10 Home. After permanently removing one of the extra NVME devices, I expected the lane count total to drop back to 40, and slot 3 to rest to a 16x link, but it didn't. I've rebooted. I've turned off the slower video card, rebooted etc, etc, and can't seem to get slot 3 to go back up to a 16x link now that I am once again below the 40 lane threshold that is my CPU's limit.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's the critical items at this point. Thanks for the assist!

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the current setup is PCIE slot1 - Video Card, in PCIE slot 2 - Intel 750 SSD, in PCIE slot 3 - the 2nd video card ( which BIOS says is now linking at only 8, and nothing in PCIE slot 4. Add in the M.2 mobo slot which has a Samsung Pro 960, and I think I'm back to exactly 40 lanes which is what the mobo, CPU, and X99 chipset used to support.
12/21/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 1 month ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Are you using a card riser?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had been on the 2nd NVME device, but it has been removed. Each of the video cards could use 16 lanes, and the M.2 slot on the mobo requires 4 lanes. That's 36 used so far. I added a single NVME device on a card riser in one of the mobo slots which tool the total to 40 lanes. All was functioning properly for months. I then decided to add the Intel 750 SSD into PCIE slot 2. This device requires 4 lanes of its own, which brought the total lane requirement to 44. The mobo automatically cut back slot 3 from 16 lanes to 8 lanes as it should to stay at or below 40 lanes in use. I had hoped that when I removed either of the 2 additional NVME devices that the mobo would automatically switch slot 3 back to being linked at 16 lanes, but it hasn't. I haven't switched the Intel 750 SSD currently sitting in slot 3 to any of the other slots for fear that this might result in enough confusion that the device would give me the red light of death. But according to the mobo manual, I shouldn't be exceeding the maximum number of lanes and therefore it seems to me that slot 3, which adjusted when I knowingly went over the 40 lane max, should switch back to the default status of 16 lanes if the device (a video card) can actually use the extra lanes. I suppose, if the logic structure of the software that reduced the link is a "1-way" process, then perhaps only a mobo reset would restore to the default value of 16 in slot 3. I haven't tried that yet only because I hate to have to go thru the mobo set-up all over. (I have NOT tweaked with any of the voltages, and I am currently using settings that are consistent with the before and after of my problem.) Thanks for looking at this for me. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Typo above. The SSD is in PCIE slot 2. Per the mobo instructions, the video cards are in PCIE slots 1 and 3.

Did the card riser work?

Pete, Computer Engineer