My computer screen shows a Windows Vista home screen and is…

Customer Question
My computer screen shows...

My computer screen shows a Windows Vista home screen and is asking for a password ***** I don't know.

Technician's Assistant: What exactly are you having trouble accessing?

The screen containing all the icons

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

It's a HP Vista

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Just today I had AOL download a Shields program because the AOL DeskTop will be discontinued in Jan. 2018

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

How do I change the password?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
12/21/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 5 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

I can help you with this.

First, can you turn off the computer

turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

Choose Safe Mode.

This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed for this).

Once in, click Start, and type in

System Restore

Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.

Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows normally please.

Thank you

I did what you wrote and got the same result.(Windows Vista screen)
By the way, in all the years I've been operating this computer I never had to submit a password ***** is the reason I do not know what the password *****
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 4 months ago

What was the message you got when you completed the restore?

Forget the whole process. I'm not satisfied with the results. Your rates are too expensive.I live on Social Security and cannot afford it. Please do not charge my credit card.
Richard, Computer Specialist