My browser stopped working and was told my windows license…

Customer Question
My browser stopped working...

My browser stopped working and was told my windows license has expired?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the version of Windows?

Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Dell inspiron 1721, I cannot find anything to do? this was going on about 5 days now

Technician's Assistant: What version of Windows are you running on your Inspiron?

Windows vista, ?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Inspiron? Have you installed any updates recently?

No as I cannot update anything

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I was contacted by so call microsoft agent who insisted I go and get a 100 dollar itune card I sent him the code on it and was told it did not work and I needed to go and get 2 fifty itune cards thats about it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/20/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your scam. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Microsoft would never ask you for itunes. It is a well known scam that is going around with a 'script' that is running in your browser.

Did you let them in your computer?

And what exact browser did that message come on?

What browser are you using? firefox/chrome/safari/internet explorer/edge?

Firefox is blue with orange fox wrapped around a globe.

Chrome is red/green/yellow with a blue dot in the middle of a circle.

Edge is a dark blue small e.

Internet explorer is a small light blue e.