My wife has a Chromebook computer and recently had a problem…

Customer Question
My wife has a...

My wife has a Chromebook computer and recently had a problem getting it to boot up. One of the computer techs at her office, who is familiar with Chromebooks, did a “PowerWash” on it, and gave it back to her.Now that the problem has been taken care of she is trying to get back on the computer, but when she turns it on the first screen she gets is a request for her to enter a wifi password.Unfortunately, when she initially set the computer up, she did not make note of any password ***** a wifi connection, and without it she is unable to go any further in getting the Chromebook to boot.It seems strange to me that the first thing that Google would want is a password ***** connect to WiFi.Any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

Pearl, as far as I know, my wife never created or used a WiFi password (by the way, I use a Mac and know next to nothing about the Chromebook). If she did, she didn't write it down so she could refer to it later. That may also be true for other passwords she may have needed to create. So, if she initially created a WiFi password, I doubt she ever changed it.

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

The WiFi address she used was originated by our personal router in our home, so I'm sure that she used one of two to connect to the internet when her computer was working. But, again, I don't remember there being a requirement for a password.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Well, I'm not sure what else the expert might need....so no.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/15/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Sheri, Expert replied 7 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi JACUSTOMER-a6yoqk8v,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. I understand the Chromebook is asking for a wifi password ***** setting it up again. This is completely normal, as part of the setup. It needs the wifi password ***** the wireless network at the location you currently have the Chromebook at, not a specific one she previously entered. Do you have a wireless network where you are setting it up now? Let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi, I haven't heard back from you. I just wanted to follow up to see if you still need assistance. Let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert