For a couple of months now I regularly get messages saying…

Customer Question
For a couple of...

For a couple of months now I regularly get messages saying that my Windows 10 security needs to be updated. I then try to update it and then get another message saying 'something went wrong try again'. And then I go round in circles. I contacted Telstra Platinum and they couldn't sort it out online so they sent a tech to my house and he couldn't sort it out either. He said to contact Microsoft which I am now doing.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

As I just said Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have?

Windows 10 Pro

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

See my first answer

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 7 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Click start, type in CMD and right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try to update it

Let me know the results please

Thank you