I have a question about a company who contacted me and said…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about a company who contacted me and said they were part of Microsoft? They helped me " I think and passed me to another co to fix a problem they described to me as having thousands of viruses needing to be wipped out and sent me to another company who

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

They said could fix the problem for $600.00 which I said I couldn't afford and then they said they negotiated the price down to $300. and subsequently dowb to $100.00 (since I am a senior citizen). Anyway who can I speak to at Microsoft about this (on the phone) ?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

My Computer is a Pavilion 15-no19WM, My Operating System is Microsoft 8.0 or 8.1.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Microsoft phone? What have you tried so far?

It is not a Microsoft phone. It is a computer and it started several hours ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

No except that they expect me to send them $100.00 check through the mail tomorrow for services rendered so I want to know are the two companies I dealth with really affiliated with Microsoft or am I in the middle of a scam>

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
12/13/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

This is absolutely a scam, it is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. Microsoft or any legitimate company would ever contact you this way. Your computer does not report its status to anyone. Usually what will happen is once you are in contact with them they will lie to you about issues that your computer does not have such as it is being hacked or has viruses. They will then attempt to charge you many hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues. If you have not paid them anything yet do not. Also when they call simply hang up, do not speak a word to them, they can get very nasty.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Chris, Who can I report this to or is it even worth it to report it?

It always helps when you report it but this problem is very severe I help at least 20 people a week with this scam so it seems not much is being done. Most likely because the scammers are located in India. You can report them here if you would like:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

If you have any issues please feel free to let me know. You can come back to this page and speak with me even after you rate my service.

Thanks

No I don't believe it's a probem--the first tech told me several hackers had gained my personal system ID and they were trying to get to my bank account information. He said the second company would have to fix it and it would take about 30min to 1 hr for the fix to occur. I told him to transfer me to the second company and he did and it took them about 15-20 minutes to" fix the problem" he then sent me back to the original company's supervisor for payment. He wanted me to pay right away but I would not so he asked me to send a verification that the problem was fixed and that I would send the money tomorrow.
I got more suspicious as time went on.....I will not send the money and appreciate your assistance. the first co name they gave ne was "VIANDE LLC" and I don't believe the ever game me the second company's name but they did place a name on my window page and it is still their so I c ould call them for further help I guess I should remove that also????

Yes that is normal. Usually what they do is show you things that the average computer user never needs to look at such as a command prompt which displays your active internet connections and then they say those are hackers. They can be very aggressive and they can and will also damage your computer if you give them a chance. I would remove anything they put on the computer. Usually they just open a notepad document and save it on the desktop so you can simply drag it to recycle bin.

Chris L., Support Specialist