Firefox losted the bookmarks when it was upgraded. I tried…

Customer Question
Firefox losted the bookmarks...

Firefox losted the bookmarks when it was upgraded. I tried to uninstall firefox but nothing happens. it is still in the program folder. How do I uninstall firefox so I can reinstall it?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Did you click Start and open the Programs control panel to uninstall the Firefox?

I have tried to uninstall via the control panel but it just sits there and never uninstall firefox

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Firefox runs but has no bookmarks or history and I can't bookmark the window that is up

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
12/13/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you.

Can you start Firefox with the -p to switch or go to the Troubleshooting option to view the profile folder?

We will see if we can restore old profile with bookmarks.

I can get to the troubleshooting page I ready to open the profile folder
I have tried to do use old bookmarks from backups and I tried to import favorites from IE via html but firefox doesn't do anything.

Click Open Folder.

Note down the name of the profile.

Then close Firefox and execute: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -p

You will be presented with the option to choose profiles, choose the older profile and launch it.

Make sure you dont delete anything. Since this is a bit complicated, i would suggest i do this remotely for you as i have done it before.

when I try to execute what you say windows says it doesn't exist. but I can use the file explorer and start firefox
which is in Program Files (x86) folder.

Then change the path to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -p

still says it doesn't exist.
the real question is why can't I uninstall Firefox

If you uninstall it, and reinstall it you may lose the bookmarks completely.

BUT you can download RevoUninstall (free trial) and force uninstall it.

My instructions above were to restore the bookmarks and fix without reinstalling.