When i try to get into my mail it asks for a phone #, but my…

Customer Question
When i try to...

When i try to get into my mail it asks for a phone #, but my current phone # gets a can't recognise

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

No. I just downloaded aol shield, thats where i am

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

My current phone # is not recognised

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
12/13/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your Aol. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

How do you usually access your email? Email client such as windows live, (built in email app

on the computer itself that looks like an envelope) Thunderbird? Using a regular browser such

as Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome etc?

I need my phone number on file
No

Please answer the questions to continue.

all i need is my phone number on file

I cannot get into an account that you cannot get into or know where to begin unless you answer the questions i ask you.

There are many different ways to recover accounts. It all depends on how you access them.

If you cannot give me my phone number on file, forget this call. I recently downloaded aol shield, but when i try to see my mail, i am asked for my current phone number, because i cant remember my password.

I understand what your issue is. Exactly. I understand you are frustrated but no one can help you until you help with

answering questions. There are tons of ways to get into aol, but some access it through a server from aol or Internet

provider they got the email from like Verizon.

Some used it and added it to a live.com account email.

Some have aol straight through aol they signed up for at aol.com etc.

My aol was just discontinued and i have to get my mail through aol shield, but it askes for me user name and password. When i try to update my password, i am asked for my phone number on file. My current landline is not recognized.

If i understand you, you had to upgrade to shield from something like aol desktop/gold. Now it is asking for your

aol email and password, but not taking it?

Where did you get that original aol email from? aol.com? Verizon gave it to you etc?

I got it from my aol desktop, windows vista. Said i would need aol shield to access my mail. When i try, it asks for my password, whick i cant remember. When i try to reset my password ***** asks for the phone number on my account, but it doesnt recognize my landline. Do you think my cell phone is the one?

Please tell me WHERE you got that aol mail from. Before any of this started.

Did your internet service provider give it to you?

Did you decide one day you wanted aol and went to aol.com to make an email?

It will all depend on the aol origin to reset it.

my internet service provider sent it to me, said i would have to use msil.aol.com. i have had aol for many years.

Perfect!

Now, when you go to aol.com. Enter that email and hit forgot password, (we are going to try to change the password *****)

Tell me what happens as you move through the recovery screen. It should take you to your internet server providers website

after you hit that.