I changed my email password 5 months ago and now I can't get…

Customer Question
I changed my email...

I changed my email password ***** months ago and now I can't get in to it

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

No

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

I do have a security question

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/12/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your email issue. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

What email are you trying to get back? gmail/outlook/yahoo etc?

How do you usually access your email? Email client such as windows live, (built in email app

on the computer itself that looks like an envelope) Thunderbird? Using a regular browser such

as Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome etc?

I have Windows 8 ***@******.*** I've had this account forever...I just changed the password ***** now I don't remember it
Just gmail
My youngest son went in and cleared out my history and I have been able to log into my email at all since then
Who is 35 and I have no idea WHY??? he did it

What browser do you use when you usually access that gmail?

Google

Google is a search engine.

What browser are you using? firefox/chrome/safari/internet explorer/edge?

Firefox is blue with orange fox wrapped around a globe.

Chrome is red/green/yellow with a blue dot in the middle of a circle.

Edge is a dark blue small e.

Internet explorer is a small light blue e.

Chrome
As you can tell I don't bother my computer I just want to see my emails and maybe go to facebook or search the web that's it
Ch

Lets see if we cant find it. The problem is, you put the backup email as the exact email you are locked out of.

You have no other backup methods in place. So we have to try and cut corners.

Give me just a moment to get it together for you.

Thank you

These are your options. When you signed up for that free account, it is in your agreement/terms that you signed that you wont

get that account back unless you can prove it is you by putting in back up information to recover.

Since you put the wrong email *it asks that you have a separate email to recover when setting it up, not the exact one you

are setting up* we have to see if you can view any stored passwords or try to reset your computer back to a time BEFORE your

son got to it.

Look in your chrome first:

On your computer, open Chrome.

At the top right, click More Settings.

At the bottom, click Advanced.

Under "Passwords and forms," click Manage passwords.

Under "Saved passwords," to the right of the website, click More Details.

To the right of the password, click Preview .Windows & Mac: If you lock your computer with a password, you'll be prompted to enter your computer password.

If you do not see your email listed there with something like 'google' to the right and your email to the left, it is not stored.

So we will try credential manger:

You’ll have to type in your Windows password ***** order to decrypt the password.

You can follow this guide for both:

cred mgr:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/find-hidden-saved-passwords-windows/

chrome:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

If that doesnt work, your last option is try to trigger the recovery forms or reset to a date before he 'cleaned' it.

Let me know what you see.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Reply with any and all errors or concerns referring to your technical issue.

Thank you,

~Franklin