I just got a message that my computer was infected with a…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a message that my computer was infected with a virus and I had to call 1-***-***-****. or my computer would be shut down in 5 min. I called that number and I was told I needed to reactivate my Microsoft account at a cost of $350. What do I need to do

Technician's Assistant: What exactly is having screen issues?

I am not having screen issues except that the insistence that I call that number. And the voice that said my computer would be shut down by Microsoft within 5 min.

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

I have an HP pavilion slimline computer, and I believe I have Microsoft Windows 7

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/12/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your scam issue. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Yes, that was not legitimate. No one knows if you have viruses but you. Those are common. First thing you need to do is

call your credit card company and/or bank and stop all those charges immediately. Open an investigation and report fraud on them

if you paid them anything.

Then we need to get that computer set back the way it was before immediately if you allowed them in or

if you saw that message in a browser. It is a pop up phishing email or alert embedded into a site you went to.

Then we are going to report those people to microsoft to shut them down.

I tell all clients with this issue to please go here and review us on the BBB. You have to be skeptical at this point

and with good reason. Those people are not from microsoft and the virus scam is out of control in this day and age.

https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/answering-service/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403

You can report that number here;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/reportascam/

This will give you more information on how to spot these people:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/phishing-scams.aspx

If you got that message in an email, you should reset your email passwords immediately and secure your account.

If you need any further information on this; just let me know. If they did not get in your pc/allowed access, you will be fine

with the information provided.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Reply with any and all errors or concerns referring to your technical issue.

Thank you,

~Franklin