I need help with my Google mesh network, Macbook Pro OSX.13,

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with my Google mesh network

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Macbook Pro OSX.13

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

OSX.13

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Pro? What have you tried so far?

The issue is not with the computer, but with my Epson printers.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Once I installed the Google wifi mesh network, the printers show the same SSID 6 times

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
How do I know which router is the one to use since they all are accessing the same SSID in order to install it on the same network as my computer?
12/11/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you.

If you click the wifi icon from the top bar on your Mac, you will see which network you are connected to and that is the one you should connect the printer to.

That is not the problem. The problem is that there are 6 router devices in my Google mesh network. Each router device is connected to the same SSID network since the router mesh devices are designed to act as network extenders within the mesh. It is all the same network and the very same SSID. The problem is that the printer shows the very same network SSID name 6 times. I need help with understanding how to modify this in the Google mesh so that it shows up only once.
Tech Support Specialist: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

I would like to assist with this today with you. I have the Google Mesh network myself so I can actually provide some insight on this. I only have 3 but it solved my back bedroom signal issue!

I am intrigued with this because I have an Epson printer on the wifi network as well. I didn't see multiple SSID's so it's either going to be the printer you have or with how it was originally setup. Did you use the phone app when you setup the mesh network?

I used the phone app. I am now driving, so will it be ok to continue this in about 20 minutes?

Sure thing. Just respond back to this when you are ready. That will alert me I have a new message waiting.

Ok great! I will be in front of computer and printer in question then

Thanks!

When you get there, a question I do have is does other devices (phone or PC) show these multiple network points as well.

Hi - back on the road. But no, other devices don’t show multiple networks with same SSID. Only on the printer

Hey! Well, I honestly think it's a design flaw with the printer. You should be able to just choose one and fill in the password. Just choose the strongest signal. If no other device shows multiple SSIDs, then you set it up correctly. Going through the App to set it up was actually the easiest wireless setup I've done and I actually wanted it to be more challenging. My network is a bit more complicated as I needed more Ethernet ports and I have live video (camera system) so I had to get a faster router then I added the Google routers after my faster router. My network sounds messy but works! If you could get me the model number of your printer, I could look more into it for you just to dig into the manual. Send me the information if you would like me to look more into it for you. My router after my modem is AC1900 Asus if you have a security system that lags too.

-----

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help provide any clarification or further details you may need. If you do not need any further help, just as a reminder before you go, please give me a quick rating at the top right. Hopefully I have earned 5 stars today! This helps me receive credit for helping you today. Have a great rest of your day!

I have 2 Epson printers. WF-3640 and WF-7610. I am having the same problem with both printers.

I actually just looked at my Epson 4630

Here is my Printer. Disregard the funny name for my Wifi but it does show up multiple times. It's been a while since I setup my printer and I had forgot that it does that. I had chose one and went with it and never had a problem since then.

I wanted to check to see if you had any other questions for me. Based on the prior notes, you've set up your Mesh Network correctly. My Epson also does the same thing as with the photo I added yesterday. It's just picking up all the individual signals. Since everything else only picks up one, it was done correctly.

--------

Still having problems setting up printer. Router mesh connected to AT&T U-verse box. Could it be that Google Wigi needs to be in bridge mode?
No to Bridge Mode. Are you able to pick one and put in your wireless password? What error are you getting?
Printer setup just can’t complete. After I restored the printer Wi-Fi settings to default, the computer picks up the printer but can’t complete the WiFi setup.

Is one of the routers next to printer?

one is

The one that is nearby, can you plug in an Ethernet cord to the free slot in the back or is it in use? I'd like to try to connect the router directly to it. I did this for my Xbox and for a DVD player.

I’ll need to find an Ethernet cable.
No problem. Let me know when you get it hooked up.
The weird thing is that my printers were working with Google mesh for a couple of weeks, then it just stopped, which happened after some updates from Apple

Well, any update from Apple wouldn't affect your Google Mesh and the printers not communicating with the outside. That would only affect your ability to print from computer.

Just tried to add printer with Ethernet connection. Computer is unable to verify printer
Does not recognize printer at all in the Add printer window in the default tab
Am rebooting computer

Sorry, I was a bit confused based on the troubleshooting. I thought the issue was with your Mesh Network. It sounds like something happened with the drivers. So, when you setup your printer, does it get an IP address or does it show it's connected?

I can connect the printer directly to the network, but cannot get computer to recognize the printer. Have updated drivers installed.
I contacted Epson first and tech support told me to contact Google Wi-Fi

Okay, one the 3640 printer, can you click the Home button, Setup, and print a Network Status sheet.

Have done that

What does it show for the IP Address? Just the first 2 groups. Does it show 192.168?

When you go to Printers & Scanners to add the printer, are you able to click the plus sign and enter its IP address?

I can add IP address but it doesn’t recognize it. I’ve gone into Network Utility and pinging the computer just times out
Sorry - pinging the printer request times out

And for sure the computer you are trying to resetup the printers back on are all on the same network within the Google Mesh, right? You're not on a 3G/4G card or anything.

Same network. Same SSID
Wondering if I need to reset the WiFi settings
In the computer.

No, you shouldn't if you're getting internet through it.

I am all fresh out of ideas on this one. I'm going to let another expert step in on this one. I am really sorry. I will say that I am able to ping my Epson printer and it responds. I don't have anything fancy setup to allow it to do that. I'm going to follow this once another expert jumps in so I can see what ends up being the resolution.

Ok, thanks for trying
Tech Support Specialist: Sheri, Expert replied 7 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi Customer,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I would be happy to continue assisting you with this issue. I have some general information and recommendations for you below:

If you have an AT&T Uverse router and a Google Mesh network, I highly recommend that you put the AT&T router in bridge mode. This will turn off any DHCP network addressing that may be causing a conflict on the network, including preventing some devices from picking up an ip address from each different router, which may not be on the same subnet (so they can't communicate). Secondly, bridge mode will turn off any wifi signal SSID broadcasts from the AT&T Uverse router. Having competing broadcasts will degrade the performance of the wireless network, cause connection issues and dropoffs and also confuse your devices if you join the wrong SSID. Third, if you have 2 routers "routing", they are both performing NAT, which stands for network address translation. if you don't bridge one router, you create a double NAT situation, which will block various traffic and cause issues. I suspect this is the place to start. Once this is done, make sure your devices are all connected to the Google Mesh network. You may want to restart the devices once you bridge the AT&T router to ensure they get the proper ip address. Once this is fixed, try the printer again and let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I am using a mesh network with 6 Wi-Fi points. The Google WiFi instructions suggest bridge mode won’t work with multiple points.
Or does that simply apply to the Google mesh and not the U-verse router?

It would refer to the Google Mesh network.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

It shows in the system that you opted out. Do you no longer need our service?

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I did not opt out
The app keeps crashing

ok, I will contact customer service to ensure this is still active. Also, below is an article explaining bridge mode is recommended on the ISP router, not the Google Mesh router.

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I haven't heard back from customer service, but I will continue with helping you. Once you have the network optimized as discussed, I have a workaround for the issue of knowing which signal to connect the printer to. I would unplug all the other access points, except the once closest to where the printer will be located. Then, this should just leave the router and your access point you need to connect the printer to broadcasting, as long as that access point is not dependent upon others you unplug. This will help reduce the number of signals and help you pinpoint which is the appropriate access point. Let me know after you try this.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert