I have been disconnected but am trying to get advice re a…

Customer Question
I have been disconnected...

I have been disconnected but am trying to get advice re a safe program to transfer floppy discs to USB. Betty

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

I have windows 10 and I was with your people but they wanted a $$ deposit before giving advice when I already have a 1 year subscription for an extra level of help.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

I think I was with you and couldn 't get any further when a deposit was asked for.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

This is where I was before but because I have the subscription I didn't think I had to pay extra. I just want to know what programs are safe to buy or install to do the transfers of floppys to USB

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
12/11/2017
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 8 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Just to clarify, are you trying to access floppy discs through USB?

If so the best way I have found is using a USB floppy drive such as the one at the link below:

click here

I have a USB floppy drive just like that which I still use - it works well without needing to add drivers - essentially a plug and play device.

Please let me know if that is what you need or if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

David.

I want to put my scores of aging floppies onto USB sticks.

Ok then yes the best solution would be to use a USB floppy drive such as the one I mentioned above if you do not have a computer which already has a floppy drive. So what you could do is plug the USB floppy drive into your computer, copy the floppy disks to your computer and then to a USB stick, or copy directly from the USB floppy drive to the USB stick if you have two open USB ports to use at the same time.

I understood there was a GoTek or a free FDMlibfree that would transfer the floppies to the USB .I have the machine that plugs into the computer but I want hose floppies transferred to a USB.

Ah, ok - it sounds like you want to copy the image from each floppy disk directly to a USB stick so the USB stick is an exact copy of the floppy disk, correct?

finally. I just want to know if there is a safe way to do it as I am unsure about the 2 I listed.

Are any of the floppy disks bootable?

l have no idea.this will s getting ridiculous

Needed to know because there are floppy disk imaging software that is specifically designed for making a USB boot drive from a floppy boot disk.

Since you just need to copy floppy to USB stick, there is a popular utility that does this that is free. Please click the link below to download and try it:

click here

the floppies are IBM formulated.1.44MB etc. Ithink I shall have to close this down as I am no further along than when I started. I am also very cross that Microsoft sent me to you when I already have a one year 2nd level of help. Thank you for your time but it has been fruitless. B

Did you try the program? It should provide exactly what you have described.

In addition, Microsoft has a command line utility that will also work however I figured you probably did not want to do this on the command line.

Done

Did it work?

I haaave given up ffor today--spent too much time on this to little purpose. You have been patient but I think I wanted to know if Gotekt and FDM were safe for the computer. You didn't answer that so I shall close this down. Thank you

Oh, ok - the answer is yes to both.

Do you still need assistance?