How can I keep Skype open so that I can hear when I get a…

Customer Question
How can I keep...

How can I keep Skype open so that I can hear when I get a call? It seems that my computer goes to sleep, or some such thing, and calls don't come through.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Skype file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

I don't know a lot about Skype, but I don't think so.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

If it makes a difference, my computer is a Mac.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 7 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

As long as it is running in the background it should tell you, but if the computer hibernates it wont.

When you say it goes to sleep, do you mean the screen is off and black?

Thanks

Is it a windows or mac computer and which version?

It is a Mac, OS High Sierra, version 10.13.1.

Thanks

Click on the Apple Logo then go to System Preferences > Energy Saver and set sleep there to never.

Then it will not sleep and it will ring when someone calls.

Let me know how you go please

Hi again. I was able to to reset sleep to never sleep, but I still have to sign in to my computer every time I check it. And Skype won't ring until I sign in. If I haven't signed in my husband keeps getting a message that I'm not available.

yes, you will have to sign in as it needs to know you are there, this is always a basic requirement for you, it is like powering on your phone in a way.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I just noticed that there are two places to set the computer to "never sleep"--(1) power adapter and (2) battery, and I had checked only one. Now they are both checked, and we'll see what happens.

Power adapter is when to sleep on power, and the battery is when to sleep on battery, it will not change with Skype the fact you need to sign into it for it to ring.

This is a pre-requisite, you always have to be signed in.

How long can I stay signed in? That's what I want to do--for about twelve hours at a time. Is that possible?

As long as you wish, there is no time limit on this.

But how do I stay signed in? My computer keeps signing me out.

ok... sorry I now need to know the issue as it was sleep, then Skype Sign in, are you now saying the Mac signs you out and takes you to the login screen after a certain amount of time?

the Mac signs me out after a few minutes if I'm not actively working on something. Once I'm signed back in I don't think I have a problem with Skype.

Got it, thanks

To turn that off, go to

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Advanced dialog.

The first option is a check box with text Log out after and you can turn it off there

Let me know how you go please

I couldn't find "Advanced Dialog," but I changed a couple of things. It took me so long because it was asking for a password ***** I couldn't remember, and I had to look it up.

No problem, has it stopped from auto signing out now?