I get from Microsoft a warning with this numberthat I have…

Customer Question
I get from Microsoft...

I get from Microsoft a warning with this number(###) ###-####that I have to call immediately otherwise my credit card number, SIN etc could be stolen.

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

I HP Laptop

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your HP?

Windows 10 Version 1607

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I was not calling. I want only know do you know this number or is it a joke?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 5 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

It is a scam.
This is what is known as " phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.
Basically what they will do is give this message (they being the scammers and not microsoft) and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.
Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever contact you like this. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist