Error 0x800703F1 Configuration Registry Database is corrupt.

Customer Question
Error 0x800703F1 Configuration Registry...

Error 0x800703F1 Configuration Registry Database is corrupt. Windows update is not working. Ran SFC /Scannow but window resource protector will not let it run. Sometimes the system locks up and requires a restart. Right now it is working. Using Windows 8.1 on Dell XPS 730.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your XPS? Have you installed any updates recently?

No windows updates since September 2017. All installations failed

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 7 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

When you try to run

sfc /scannow

Please tell me the exact message you get when it fails

Windows Resource Protector would not allow command to excecute

Ok, click start, type in CMD and right click command prompt and select run as administrator.

Then type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try to run sfc /scannow

If it runs, then try to update

Let me know the results please

Chkdsk /r stopped running after several hours. SFC still will not run. Windows Resource Protector could not perform requested operation.

Chkdsk will complete, if it takes some hours it means it is repairing a lot of issues, can you please leave it until completion, it will complete