I have a desk top PC running Windows 7 Ultimate. I built it…

Customer Question
I have a desk top...
I have a desk top PC running Windows 7 Ultimate. I built it several years ago and up until recently it's worked just fine and It runs 24/7. The problem I'm having is that if it's left for a few hours like mostly overnight it needs to be restarted to do anything with it. After being left overnight the screen looks normal and the mouse moves around the screen but I can't open any programs. When I click on an icon the "wait" circle briefly shows up then nothing happens. Restarting fixes everything and the computer then runs perfectly until the next morning. Do you have any idea what may be going on here ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/7/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Did you recently did any updates on your computer?

This is a very busy computer. It runs the home theater / TV system around my home, a business plus normal daily use, so I don't know about every update. It is set to automatically update Windows.
Tech Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

Can you please check and let me know the last update you have done?

Are you talking about a Windows 7 update ?
Tech Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

That is correct?

How do I do that ?
Tech Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

Please wait.

Tech Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

Open Control Panel and then choose Windows Update.

Tap or click Check for updates to check for new, uninstalled updates. Installation sometimes happens automatically or may need to be done by you via the Install updates button, depending on what version of Windows you're using and how you have Windows Update configured.

This problem has been going on for a while so I have no reason to think it's due to the very last update.
Tech Support Specialist: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

Most of the times the Windows updates could fix the issue.

On the same screen on your left hand side you may see an option for check for updates do you see that?