MacBook keeps restarting. A couple of months ago I dropped…

Customer Question
MacBook keeps restarting.A couple of...
MacBook keeps restarting.A couple of months ago I dropped my MacBook Pro A1398 off the bed onto the floor. After that it kept making a horrible crackling noise for weeks. That has mostly subsided and only happens very rarely now and the noise is softer. It also overheats and the fans don't seem to be doing much, so I did some online research and think I figured out (maybe?) that the main issue was the fans, so I bought some new fans, but have been to scared to take the computer apart to replace them.There is also the issue of it restarting about 5 - 20 times/day. This seems to happen more and more. I, once again, googled and did a pram/nvram reset. Actually, the nvram command didn't seem to work. (Nope, I have no idea what either of those things are.)Some other odd things that mightn't be related are happening, like every now and then, for a fractions of a second, the outline of what I have on the screen flashes.I'm mainly concerned about it restarting. Any ideas of what to do?Thanks!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Since it was dropped. Occasionally before.

Would it be possible to give me the serial number please?

Thanks

Kris

Sure! It's C02K20Q0DKQ5. I actually can't remember if the restarting was obvious before the fall, but if it was it was not at all like this. Now it does it so many times per day!

Is it cutting out or actually gracefully restarting?

Not sure what cutting out means. The screen goes black and then it restarts after about a minute. Then again, sometimes the screen just goes black and it just seems dead.

Can you try it now please?

Today it has already restarted again a few times. As usual: Suddenly the screen goes black for about two seconds, then the apple logo and the white bar comes up (showing that it's restarting) and when it's almost done the screen flickers to black again for about 1/2 second, then the apple and bar come back and it finishes restarting.

Hi

As you requested another expert this locks me out.

This lock has now been removed

Ready to go

Thanks

Kris

What?? I didn't request another expert! I don't even know how to do that.
I don't know what's going here. Am I getting an answer? Being transferred to someone else? Anyone that can help?
I figured out what requesting a new expert was, and since the other expert didn't answer, did that. Not sure if he just didn't have time for me or if the question was tough, or what. ? Any kind of communication is appreciated! :)
I originally posted the question five days ago and haven't gotten anywhere yet, so I'm hoping someone can help!
Tech Support Specialist: cvd4311, Computer Analyst replied 7 months ago
cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst

I did the same thing with my laptop. Found out my hard drive was completely gone. It took it a few days before I couldn't do anything with it. It made a horrible noise then it let up. I had to replace my whole hard drive. Sounds like that is what is wrong with your MacPro.

your advice, because my computer keeps restarting, is to replace the hard drive?

What I am saying because you dropped your MacPro and you are hearing a bad crackling noise is that that your hard drive is going bad. Hopefully you have backed it up and yes you need to replace your hard drive and then reinstall your OS.