On my other computer I got a Zeus alert it says not to shut…

Customer Question
On my other computer...

On my other computer I got a Zeus alert it says not to shut down the computer and call 1(###) ###-#### I called but I all I get is music. Is this a scam?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Apple OS.12.6

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

It also says your computer has been blocked. What is going on?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

Just happened in last 5-10 minutes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No just help please

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/7/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

The pop-up message you received is NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that your computer has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need to call a number to have the problem fixed. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement. Usually if you called the number you'd talk to someone (probably with a foreign accent) who will ask to connect to your computer and then will try to sell you on some kind of support services you don't actually need.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Apple or Microsoft or some other well known company. This is always a lie.

If you receive these messages in the future, simply close them out.

If it won't let you close it out, then you can just hold down the power button on your computer for 5 to 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown on the computer. Once you restart your computer the message should be gone.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.