I just received a call from Microsoft regarding renewal of a…

Customer Question
I just received a...

I just received a call from Microsoft regarding renewal of a microsoft 7 operating system. They helped and offered a 499 purchase of an upgrade for all my home computers forever. Before I paid, I want to verify that this was really a call from microsoft and not some scam

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

It is an older HP with windows 7.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

The windows 365 package aI purchased a year ago for my 4 computers qit working recently...I hadnt used the computer for a couple of months before then

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I would like to verify the the windows 365 package was on automatic renewal payment,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 4 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I look forward to helping you today.

That was most definitely a scam because Microsoft will never ever call you. That is a fact. The person who called you was not from Microsoft.

That is a very common scam that the scammer criminals use. These people will call you, masquerading as Microsoft Techs, HP techs, or some other type of techs. They will then do their best to make you believe that you require their help in the way of remote support, customer support, software support, or something of the like. In the end, if you fall for it, you will be out hundreds of dollars.

If you gave the scammer any banking information, please contact your bank as soon as possible and report the scam so that they can block the payment to them. Also, you may wish to consider contacting your local authorities and reporting this crime, if any payment was made.

Microsoft will confirm that it is a scam. On the following page, they have listed different descriptions of similar scams: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/support-scams

Please, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,

Jason

Is there anything else I can help you with today? If so, please let me know. If that is all for now, please do not forget to rate my help on top of this page.
Thank you,
Jason

Jason Jones, Computer Expert