I wanted to install Ubuntu on part of my hard drive. I was…

Customer Question
I wanted to install...

I wanted to install Ubuntu on part of my hard drive. I was wondering how to restart my computer from the bootable USB drive I made with Ubuntu on it. I know I have to press F2 to change the boot order on my computer to not do Windows first. But I tried all the USB options prior to the Windows by putting them in slots one through three and it still booted Windows.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Acer E5-575G

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

I tried changing the boot order for the USB options to go before Windows but that didn't seem to work. The only option I haven't tried is putting all three USB booting options before Windows. But I'm afraid even when I shut down Windows and my computer; Windows is still in charge and thus making it difficult for me to boot from a USB. Somehow I have to disable Windows without disturbing it. I guess my question is, 'When I boot up my computer in the future, how do I select which system the computer boots from: Windows or Ubuntu; and how do I do this without having to change the boot order every time by pressing F2?'

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That should be sufficient.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/6/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

I just tried to switch around the boot order of my computer last night to the various USB drive options. I also made the bootable USB for Ubuntu last night as well. Windows seems to take some real effort to boot. For example, I can not shut down my computer from the welcome screen and press F2 to get to the system menu. I have to login in to Windows then shut down from there, not restart, but shut down completely from inside Windows.
Thanks for trying to connect, I don't usually need that except in dire cases.

You need to go into the temporary boot menu

Are you aware how to get this?

Thanks

Kris

I'm fairly certain I press F2 after shutting down my computer from within Windows after having had logged in, then restarting my computer and pressing F2 every second.

Turn it off and press F12 a few times as soon as you start it

Ok, so my question was... which option do I put first so that it will boot from the bootable USB. There is USB-CDROM, USB FDD, and USB HDD. What are those and which goes first. If it is none of those, there are two Network Boot capabilities, and three others and Windows to choose from for a total of nine options. I tried putting each of the USB options before Windows, having put Windows as the second option; and each time my computer bypassed the USB bootable drive and still went to Windows.

USB HDD is the removable drive. Did that work for you?