I want to boost the communication range of a IoT device via…

Customer Question
I want to boost the...
I want to boost the communication range of a IoT device via DIY. How should i go abouts to achieve this?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/5/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Can you give me the make and model of the device?

Well tbh i dont know what IoT really entails but its a product from this websitehttps://www.ismartalarm.com/

Is this for the Wireless features?

Yea, I only own the door sensors. And i was wondering if its possible to open it apart and upgrade the receiver

Not on the hardware side but a firmware updated to 4.2.3.777c will allow / should allow you to increase the range

Thanks

Kris

firmware update from where?

Do you know the current firmware version?

version 2.2.4.9. says its up to date

Does it have a X at the end or a P?

Doesn't have either X or P
Tech Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 7 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

The best way to get a stronger signal is to add a wifi extender to your wifi network to help boost the signal, e.g.

https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-N300-WiFi-Range-Extender/dp/B00L0YLRUW/

The wifi network is as close as it can get. thats why im looking for another option.Unless is it possible to get a wifiextender with a bigger range than the original router?

How far is your nearest wifi router or extender from the device? Is it possible to add another extender between that closest point and the device?

If not, try these tips:

Keeping the device raised as high as possible will help the signal travel further.

Remove any obstacles that may be partially blocking the signal, e.g. large pieces of furniture.

Turn off or remove any nearby sources of wireless interference that may be impeding the wifi signal, e.g. bluetooth devices, cordless phones, etc.