For a law firm, I created a set of styles for MS Word 2010…

Customer Question
For a law firm...

For a law firm, I created a set of styles for MS Word 2010 and another for 2010. I am not update the styles for 2016. As much as possible, they are all based on the house version of the style Normal (called LawfirmNormal). When I created the 2013 version, there was no problem (mostly) with importing the 2013 styles into 2010 documents. Now, when I import the 2016 styles into a 2013 document everything works smoothly, except the four styles based on Heading 1--Heading 4 revert to the font style and size of the default 2016 headings, which just don't work for law firms. (That was the whole reason for creating new heading styles.) Do you have any idea why it worked with earlier versions of Word, but not 2016.

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Software Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

Customer:***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all about that issue, but I have a second less important issue.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
I have a second issue with MS Word 2016. In 2010, in footnotes, I could put the FN number into the text as superscript with no period, but in the FN itself, I could put a period after the superscript number. I can't find that function in 2016.
As you know, with headings you can link a custom number list style to individual heading styles, for example. Can I do that with footnote numbers? There doesn't seem to be nearly as much flexibility with footnote numbering as with heading numbering.
12/5/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 7 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hi Robert, you will need to create a new set of styles for MS Word 2016.

I did. That is when the problem started. I went back and reloaded the same styles from MS Word 2012, and that seemed to fix the problem.
No thanks to the connection offer.
There is no difference I can find between the 2012 styles and the 2016 styles, but the 2012 styles worked in MS Word 2016, and the 2016 styles did not.
If you think that I need to write new 2016 styles (which I did), there may have been a bug introduced in MS Word 2016.
Thanks for you help. I need to go to sleep now. If you can give some thought to the issue of formatting footnote numbers differently in the body of the text and in the footnote, I would appreciate it. As far as I can tell, MS Word 2016 has not noticeably increased control over that from prior editions.

The appearance has not changed, however the code has changed significantly.

Can you show me a screenshot of the old and new styles?

I figured the code had changed in 2016. I also wonder if I somehow need to change the format of the 2012 document to 2016 before importing the styles. I will work on preparing the screen shots of the 2012 and 2016 style options. It's a fairly laborious process to created them and label them properly, since they look so much alike. Just as a preliminary comment, I made a great effort to make them exactly alike.

Can you see where the problem areas might lie, e.g. with the margins?

I think these are the relevant screen shots. The choices in the menus are as identical as I could make them.I am going to try saving the target document as a 2016 document to see if this fixes the problem.
Saving the document in 2016 format does not fix the problem.
The margins of the documents in all versions of Word for this law firm are exactly 1 inch.
What else about the margins could cause the problems? The headers never contain anything, and footers contain only a page number.
Did you receive the screen shots? The PDF has disappeared from this thread.

Yes I received the PDF, thanks.

I cannot see any reason why this is occurring, so I will open up the question to the other experts.

Thank you. I wonder if it just a bug in the new coding. When I replaced the 2016 styles with identical 2012 styles, they worked fine.Also, if you have a chance, give some thought to the question of formatting footnote numbers in the text and in the footnote differently. I have tried using custom numbering, which can change the formatting in the footnote, but also includes the unformatted footnote number. My client is especially interested including a period after the footnote number as a matter of conservative legal style. It would also be great to find a way to include a tab after the footnote number, as you can in heading numbers.