I received a notice that my computer had a virus. I called…

Customer Question
I received a notice...

I received a notice that my computer had a virus. I called the number and a man told me that to fix the problem he would need 199.00. please tell me if this is true or not

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Dell I don't know the model

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Just today I haven't done anything so far

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I would like to know if this is a scam

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
12/2/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake popup notice; it is not from Microsoft. It is a scam, so please do not call that number again, and do not follow any instruction in it.

- Does the popup notice still occur when you shut down / restart the computer?

- Or does the popup notice only occur when you open the Internet? etc.?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

it occurred when i started up the computer

Are you sure the popup notice first occurred when you started up the computer? Or did the popup notice first occur when you opened the internet or when you were browsing on the Internet?

Is the notice still occurring?

Are you currently able to use the Internet on your computer?

I will try and use the internet the notice occurred when i tried to use the internet

OK. In the future, the first troubleshooting step is close the popup notice if possible. If it does not work, then shut down / restart computer, and check.

- If the popup notice is still occurring when you open the Internet, then please try the following fix:

1. Close all programs if possible.
  2. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for now.
  3. Shut down your computer.
    ; (Note: If it does not let you shut down your computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it should power off.)
  4. Turn your computer back on.
  5. Open the Internet program on your computer.
    - It should display connection error or something similar.
  6. Close all the Internet pages / tabs / windows.
  7. Re-connect the power cord(s) to your internet modem / router device(s).
  8. Wait a few minutes.
  9. Open the Internet on your computer, (and if prompted to restore, DO NOT restore, but cancel / close it.)
  10. Then see if the popup message is gone now.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Also, the popup notice message usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisements or bad email attachment. Usually, shutting down / restarting the computer would resolve the issue. If not, doing my steps above will resolve the issue.

- Reminder: Microsoft and any legitimate company would never display a popup notice automatically on your computer's screen. Microsoft and any legitimate company would never contact you automatically about any computer issue. Whenever you have a computer issue, you would need to contact a support company yourself first. In the future, please always ignore any notice or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- Do you have any further question? And/or do you need anything else today?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

How is it going? Is your computer working fine now? Or is there still any issue?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.