I keep getting calls from a company Sach - Fesco 3 that

Customer Question
I keep getting calls...

I keep getting calls from a company Sach - Fesco 3 that there is corruption to do with KOOBFACE, They want access to our systems to clean up the “hackers” I don’t feel comfortable and ended the session. Message on man in computer is Acronis True is terminating current operations? Can you check this out and please advise

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Windows

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Acronis software?

Not sure. My husbands main computer. I have an iPad which is wireless conncected. Is that a legitimate company to deal with on the phone?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I keep getting calls from this company and want to know if they are legit and if i should trouble shoot with them over the phone.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today.

That was a bogus call by a malicious party, and not associated with Microsoft in any way. They cold call and provide fake alerts/popups to try and trick users into allowing them access to their PCs and paying for their scam services.

Microsoft will never call users on its own unless its services are personally requested. Your system is just fine as long as you do not communicate with these parties or allow them access in any way; just ignore these types of calls and emails as they come.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you,

This company is relentless. Can you please confirm there are no viruses currently on our systems? What is KOOBFACE?

PS: Please ignore and close any remote assistance offer shown on this page; it's sent at the site's end and not by me.

Typing up further info now, please stand by.

My husband puchased a 2 year virus protection. Why would I have to pay for you to trouble shoot?

Your computer is absolutely safe; you do not need to communicate with that party any further - just ignore their calls as they come and they will eventually drop off. Koobface is a type of malware that infects network computers but there's NO way for any third party (including Microsoft) to know if a computer has been infected with the same. Hence, these types of scammers fraudulently claim to their intended victims that they have a Koobface infection on their computer by using fake popups and using built-in Windows programs.

Again, your system is just fine. Do let me know if you have any further concerns; thanks!

I tried to shut down the computer to close off sessions with that company but there is a message
Acronis True image is terminating the current operations and computer will be turned off in about 2 minutes. This message has been on the screen for last 15 minutes and seems to be frozen there.
Please advise as I cannot open his screen

Oh, so you already allowed that party to access the computer screen earlier? Or did you communicate only via phone call?

I just opened windows and did type in few letters and was lead to what he called hacker corruption files

OK, quickly - is this a laptop or desktop?

Desktop

Disconnect the power cable from AC, then hold down the Power button for 60 seconds.

Next, re-connect the power cable and turn the computer back on. Does that message show up again after booting up?

The other message is gone. Now asking for a startup password

Is it prompting for the password ***** your Windows account? If not, what EXACTLY is showing up?

I think it is Windows, it is just a small box asking for the startup password ***** I don’t know what the password *****
Trying to find it

OK, looks like they have already corrupted your system after you allowed them access earlier. Please stand by,

Sorry, I'm out of ideas here. Let me open up your question to our other experts who will be able to assist further; you will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up. Please do NOT submit a rating until your issue is resolved (else you will be charged.)

I called my husband to ask for a startup password, and he said he ran into this issue in the summer and had to bring his computer in and purchased 2 year protection as window was corrupted and needed to be reinstalled. Please help me retrieve this password
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hi there my name is***** know exactly what they did to you. Often what these scammers will do when you get suspicious of them or don't pay them money is lock your computer by enabling the start up password. There is no easy way around this unfortunately. I have seen instances where the hacker uses a simple password ***** 1234 or 123 abc, abcd but they usually enter it very quick before you even realize it. So you may want to try a few simple things like 123 or 1234. Aside from that you are going to need to take the computer to a local tech for repair of this I am sorry to say. It is not something you can easily fix on your own. Now if one of those simple passwords I mentioned does work let me know and I can show you how to disable the boot up password. But if they don't your quickest solution is to bring it to a local tech for hands on repair. I am sorry I don't have better new for you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

We just brought the computer 5 months ago!! Purchased the 2 year protection! Is there no way to retrieve the start up password??
I tried 123, 1234, abc, abcd but didn’t work. Can u please set up a tech to come to repair issue at home

I am not saying it can't be fixed but it is a difficult fix and would require Windows installation media which I don't know if you have. So I am not saying it cannot be fixed by any means. I am just saying it may be easier to have someone do it for you. Who did you purchase your 2 year support with?

Does the entire operating need to be reinstalled again? We purchased the 2 yr protection 5 months ago from Geek Squad at Best Buy in Sault Ste Marie, Ont when the computer was brought in for windows to be fully reinstalled.
I have been trying to call the store, Geek Squad, any sales rep and they have not been answering the phone. I cannot get a person to speak to. Can you please set up a Tech to come to our home to resolve. My husband is quite upset

No, it shouldn't need to be reinstalled. All that needs to happen is the system needs to be restored to a point before the password ***** enabled. There are other fixes as well but some require the hard drive to be removed. I cannot set up the appointment for you so you will need to call the store unfortunately.

I cannot get anyone at Best Buy to answer the phone. Have been calling last hour to no avail. This is extremely frustrating and unacceptable

I am sorry to hear that. I have no connection to best buy or geek squad so can't help with that I am afraid. As you can see this website is called just answer and allows you speak to certified computer tech but is not part of best buy.

One thing I can suggest is you go to the following page and scroll down a bit and click chat with an agent:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics/geek-squad/pcmcat138100050018.c?id=pcmcat138100050018

Tell them a scam tech support company put a syskey password ***** your computer and see if they can get someone out there to help you.

Chris L., Support Specialist