This is complicated. i have a Satellite C655 and is about…

Customer Question
This is complicated. i...

This is complicated. i have a Satellite C655 and is about 9-10 years old but I am satisfied, mostly. A few years ago it fell and broke of the AC adaptor plug and in the ensuing weeks of trying to fix it and having school tech people look at it the battery and internal battery went dead. When finally I fixed it by making my own little ring to connect the plug the original user would not work, would not retain any data like preferences and favorites and history. I just began using a "guest" user all the time. Finally to try to carry out administrative functions I made another user. It really never worked correctly and so when I tried to load Windows 10 it would go to about 90% and shut down saying that the users were corrupted or some such. I was fine until now when the hard drive became mostly full and slows down. I have been trying to make a back-up disk, something I tried before and it kept failing at just over 25%. I would like to put everything on a Toshiba external (500G) and restart and see if I could load Windows 10. But I am technically not adept although I have two brothers with electronic engineering degrees, one a retired research scientist for Rockwell-Collins. I was a "content provider" with online history/poli sci classes. I really need a step-by-step.

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

No, That is a problem because it only gives me the file if I go to devices and click.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

I got it from Best Buy when my old Dell desktop went bad and it was used for retrieving data before scrapping it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No. The Satellite works fine but needs to get some data off of it so it will run better. I also would like to get Windows 10.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
11/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

For the information you are trying to back up, I have a question regarding what that is. Are you trying to make a complete recovery disc or are you trying to backup personal files?

I ask because if you can deal with just backing up personal files, I have solutions for that. If you're trying to make a recovery disc, then that might take a bit more work.