Someone tried to access my email this morning, is there

Customer Question
Hi, Someone tried to...

Hi, Someone tried to access my email this morning, is there anyway to tell who it was or where it was from?

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

I have the app on my phone, and at 620 something this morning, I got the notification asking if I was trying to access it from another computer. I am currently online on my own computer

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

I reset my password.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
11/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is Chris.

There is no way to know for sure who tried to access your e-mail. The reason is that they were most likely coming over an anonymous connection like a VPN. Even if they were coming from their home connection, it was almost certainly from a foreign country and require the local law enforcement to try to track down the IP address, which just won't happen.

Your e-mail provider can probably tell what country the connection came from, but that will be about it.

Attempts to access e-mail accounts are fairly frequent, so you're not alone in that. The same thing has happened to me as well. What's important was that they weren't able to actually gain access to the account. This is where the importance of a strong password ***** into play.

Just make sure you keep a strong password ***** you should be fine. If there's a way to respond to the e-mail to let your provider know that it was not you who tried to access the account, then you'll want to go ahead and do that.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: Before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.