Have a RT-ac1200 and forgot my password. how do a reste and…

Customer Question
Have a RT-ac1200 and...

Have a RT-ac1200 and forgot my password. how do a reste and set up modem?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

When I set up the modem a week ago but didn't write down the initial password ***** get into asus setup

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

Yes I have been using it. Need to setup the 2G & 5 G ID's and passwords. I wrote all that info down but the initial ID & password ***** changed from admin/admin and that I didn't write down. Need to start over again. Can the router be reset back to factory settings?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks for your help.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
11/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Karthik, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed further, I would like to ask you few question about this problem. Do you have any computer like windows or Mac computer? The reason why I am asking is we can open the ASUS router Dashboard in the computer and we can change the wifi password.

laptop is not connected to the router, but can be changed quickly.

Is it possible to connect the laptop to the router using any ethernet cable or Wifi? because inorder to access the router dashboard, somehow the router needs to be connected to the computer.

Can the router be reset to factory settings by pressing the reset button? If I change from the modem (what I am connected to) to the router this connection will be terminate.

the router is connected to the laptop, but I am communicating via the modem and not through the router

That's Okay, For accessing router dashboard. We need to connect the router. I hope the Modem is connected to the computer using WIRED(Ethernet) and Asus Router is connected to the WIFI, Is it right?

Modem is hardwired, router is WIFI

Perfect. Now, please follow the steps for identifying the router's IP address so that we can go ahead access the dashboard for changing the password.

1. Press and hold “Windows Key + R” and the “Run” window will open.
  2. In the Run box, write ncpa.cpl and press Enter or OK and the Network Connection window will open.

3. To view the IP address of a wireless adapter, click View Status, Do a right click on Wireless Network Connection or WiFi adapter and click Status and click Details then look for the address next to "IPv4 IP Address and IPv4 Default Gateway.

192.168.50.172

Is it a IPv4 address or IPv4 Default gateway?

IPv4 address

Can I have the IPv4 Default gateway?

198.168.50.1

Now please open the browser like chrome or internet explore, in the address box on the top type 192.168.50.1 and hit enter. You will able to see the Asus router dashboard. Check and tell me whether you can access this ASUS dashboard? So that I proceed further for changing the password

I am attached to the Internet via chrome. won't i lose you if I do what you want?

No problem, you can open a new tab in the chrome by pressing CTRL key + T. In the address box on the top type 192.168.50.1 and hit enter. You will able to see the Asus router dashboard.

Have done that. Came up with the ASUS login screen for the router

May I know whether is it asking for router login with user name and password? If it is asking for a password ***** try user name as admin and password ***** admin. Check if your can access this router page.

entered admin as ID and admin as password. Message received Invalid user name or password. Can you reset that or is there something I can do?

Lets try this combination,

User name: admin

Password: password

User name: admin

Password: wifi password

User name: admin

Password: (blank)

User name: admin

Password: (Check any default password ***** the bottom panel on the router)

Router screen says:
Sign In
RT-AC1200
Sign in with your ASUS router account
user name
passwordWhen I enter admin/admin for user id & password ***** still gives me a invalid user name or password.

In this case we can try to reset the ASUS router.

1. The router can also be reset by locating the reset button located on the router. This is generally located on the back or the bottom of the router.
  2. Press and hold the reset button on the router until the power light on the router begins to flash, and then release the button.
  3. The router will reset the settings and restart. The next time the router is accessed, the initial setup screen will appear.
Did that and entered admin/admin for ID & PW. got a new screen that said Oops. Think I need to disconnect and start anew.

Okay, once the reset is done. We need to setup the router.

Thanks. I can take it from here.

Are you sure? Please let me know and It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, Is there anything else I may assist you today?