I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro. When I'm using the Chrome…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro. When I'm using the Chrome browser I will click on a link. It opens the link in Firefox. Even if FF is not open I get a message telling me the link is opening in FF. I then have to open FF in order to see the link. I have tried uninstalling FF but I still had links trying to open in FF. If I do ctrl click sometimes the link will open in Chrome.

Technician's Assistant: When could you last open your Firefox?

I can open FF anytime. That's not the problem.

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or Operating System (OS)?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
11/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

Hi! I'm Eric and I will be the expert assisting you today. I'll do all I can to provide you with excellent, 5-Star service. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• Offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept your request for one, but you don't have to.
  • Please keep this browser open. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will keep helping you until you're satisfied, please ask as many follow up questions as you need by replying below.

Good afternoon,

Chromebooks only have support for one browser, Chrome. In what way did you install Firefox?

Sounds good. Thanks!
It's a newer chromebook so I can download android apps.
I dl ff from the app store.

Yes, through the Play Store, correct? However, even then, Firefox is not supported on the ChromeOS.

Ok, either way, somehow you got it installed haha, so let's get you fixed.

How do I completely remove it? Even when I have removed FF, Chrome still tries to open the links in FF. I had to dl FF in order to see the pages.
Yep :)

If you right click on a file that should open in Chrome but is trying to open in FF, click on the More Actions option. From there, you can choose the default app.

Are you saying to rt click on a file or a link?

You should be able to on a link, as well as any file that would open in Chrome.

Are you saying to click on the three dots = more actions?

You should see this option.

If you cannot get that to show up when right clicking on a link, then there is really only one option left. The weird news, is that you found a bug that did not exists before, so I will create a new bug ticket with Google--since you are not supposed to use other Browsers, you should have run into this issue. The only other option though, is to do a quick reset of the Chromebook--but this is not a big deal since everything on the Chromebook is Cloud based, attached to your Google account... so once you sign back in, all your data and apps are still there and will resync. Resetting it though, will get rid of the bug that your Chromebook thinks you have Firefox.

Do you know how to do the full reset?

no, i don't know

Ok, it is a very quick process, and once you reset just make sure you sign back in with the same Google account, that way all your apps/data are available again. Give me just a second for the instructions.

y goal today is to provide you with the best service possible! I sincerely ***** ***** have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

1. If you are following these steps ON the Chromebook, please rate me before you leave in case you don't make it back :)
  2. Click on the Status Tray on the desktop (where the user icon and clock are)
  3. Choose Settings
  4. Scroll down and select Advanced Settings
  5. Scroll down and select Powerwash
  6. Select Restart
  7. After it restarts, select Powerwash

Hi there, did you have any follow up questions?

Hi :)

If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to reply. However, if my answer to you was helpful, please do not forget to rate my service to you at the top of the page :)

I hope you have a wonderful day,

AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric