I cannot seem to un-mute my microphone, I go and right click…

Customer Question
I cannot seem to...

I cannot seem to un-mute my microphone, I go and right click the speaker icon, select the mic, click levels put volume to 100% and click un-mute mic, the apply button at the bottom on the dialog is greyed out so I can only click OK, it doesn't stay unmuted. I have this on my laptop as well as desktop (both Dell Win 10)

Technician's Assistant: Is this happening with internal or external speakers?

I have external speakers in the desktop and internal in the Laptop

Technician's Assistant: Did you try updating the sound driver on your Dell desktop?

No, how?

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No - thanks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
11/25/2017
Tech Support Specialist: PC_Wizzard, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
PC_Wizzard
PC_Wizzard, Computer Enthusiast

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you please make sure that you've selected the correct recording device

1. Right click the sound icon in the taskbar.
  2. Select Recording devices.
  3. Choose the microphone.

4. Hit Set as default.
34;Set Default" is greyed out - I cannot click it
No remote please

Ok please make sure that your audio service is running

Press Windows key + R then type services.msc and hit Enter to open Windows services list.

Now locate the following services:

• Windows Audio
  • Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
  • Plug and Play

Make sure their Startup Type is set to Automatic and the services are Running, either way, restart all of them once again.

If Startup Type is not Automatic then double click the services and inside property window set them to Automatic.

The plug and play was manual, I changed and restarted, same status after I go to levels - they revert to 0 vol & Mic muted and Apply still not open to be selected

Please re install your sound driver

Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open Device Manager.

Expand Sound, video and game controllers and click on the sound device then selectUninstall.

Now confirm the uninstall by clicking OK.

Finally, in the Device Manager window, go to Action and click on Scan for hardware changes.

Restart to apply changes.

By restart, is it the whole system

Yes please

The system restarted, the HD Pro Webcam C920 is back in the list of sound devices, at Levels tab there is column and device is not muted but app still cannot hear mic, using Screencast-o-matic
Thanks but I need to go

Hi

When you are back online please check the privacy settings in Windows

1. Go to Start , then select Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
  2. Choose your preferred setting for Let apps use my microphone.
  3. Under Choose apps that can use your microphone, turn on or off the individual settings for apps and services.

Hi

Did you try the steps above?

your advice did not work. I went to another source and solved it, so I am not satisfied with your service.

Ok thank you for letting me know

I will request a refund for you now.

Andy, Computer Consultant