I have a pc that i cannot log into because ive forgotten the…

Customer Question
I have a pc...

I have a pc that i cannot log into because ive forgotten the password. i am using a friends computer.

Technician's Assistant: What exactly are you having trouble accessing?

Logging into my laptop

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

ASUS, i think Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Asus? Have you installed any updates recently?

No. i use this computer only seldom

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think i may have to reformat my hard drive.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
11/25/2017
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you login to the computer using a Microsoft account or a local computer account?

If you login using a local Windows account, then

probably the quickest way to resolve this is to reset the password ***** a Trinity Rescue CD - Easy to use if you follow the instructions in the video below:

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?wpid=1&front_id=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gqOF10-BU

Download the CD image from the trinityhome.org web site and then follow the instructions in the YouTube video at the second link to reset your password.

Note that when you burn the Trinity image to CD you must select the "Burn an Image" function in your CD burning software rather than copying the image to CD in order for the CD to be bootable in your PC and work properly.

Note that when you boot into the CD that your PC needs to be configured to boot from the CD/DVD. So if it does not boot from the Trinity disk you can correct this situation on boot up by looking for a message on the initial display when the PC boots that instructs you to press a certain key to enter setup (usually this is Del, F2 or F10) and then once you press the key you will be redirected to the Bios setup pages for the motherboard and can then navigate to and select the Boot Order menu and move the CD/DVD drive to the top and then save the configuration change (usually by pressing F10) so the next time you reboot it will boot into the Trinity disk so you can then reset your password.

Please let me know if you need assistance with any of the steps.

Thanks,

David.

Do you still need assistance?