How to add a 2.5 inch drive to my Inspiron 3668 computer.

Customer Question
How to add a...

How to add a 2.5 inch drive to my Inspiron 3668 computer

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Inspiron?

W-10 Home

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Inspiron? Have you installed any updates recently?

All start up updates + fax modem & some of my software from my old computer

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I know my way around hardware

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

Are you just wanting to add it as a secondary hard drive for extra storage?

Okay, you'd probably have a hard time getting it installed internally.

Have you considered using an enclosure, or are you familiar with that?

Just point me to the procedure along with hardware requirements

Okay, give me just a few minutes to gather some information for you.

Okay, as mentioned, the easiest way to do this is simply to use a hard drive enclosure. Basically what an enclosure does is it turns an internal hard drive into an external hard drive that will connect to your machine via USB.

Here is one example of a hard drive enclosure for 2.5" drives:

https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-IAUGO-External-Tool-free-Transfer/dp/B071RRX5PK/

You can find more simply by searching on Amazon for "2.5" hard drive enclosure." Most of them are pretty cheap.

Once you have the enclosure, you just pop the drive into it, connect the drive via USB, and then it should be recognized by the system. It's very simple.

If you have any further questions on this, just let me know.

NOTE: Before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.

There is space inside my pc for 2-2.5 inch drives. I don't want any external drives, I want to know how to use the facilities already installed I'm my basic computer.

Okay, in that case what I'll do is opt out of the question so that another Expert can assist you. I thought you were wanting instructions on the enclosure.

You will be notified when there's another response.

Please provide the response by email or fax. Email is***@******.***. Fax is(###) ###-####
Tech Support Specialist: Damian Costa, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Damian Costa
Damian Costa, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi...My name is ***** ***** a veteran technician expert with over 20yrs of experience...I have more questions first before we begin

So you are looking to be a computer tech for a day?

I am an Electronics Engineer. The first computer I worked on was an HP 2100 S/N 3. The disk drive stood 6 ft. tall & it maxed out its internal memory with 64 kb core memory. I think I qualify to open the box & add the additional internal drive. Although I have been retired since 2001, I'm just not up to speed on some of the newer stuff. There appears to be a plastic holding device to lock the additional 2.5 inch drives in place. How do I get this? Also, do I just need a splitter cable for the power? Is the factory power supply capable of handling the additional load?
P. S. The HP experience was in 1971--47 years ago.

If you want to proceed...I would be calling you to walk you through everything (additional cost)

Let me know if you want to proceed (if not...I will opt out)

It is that $39 popup

OR ....I can opt out if you like...just let me know

Waste of time & money
Tech Support Specialist: Jeffrey B,
 replied 7 months ago
Jeffrey B

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Lets get started!

I'm so sorry for the extended wait time. Did you still need assistance with your issue?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey

I guess the question boils down to "will the computer power supply support the additional 2.5" SATA drive in the available drive bay?"
Tech Support Specialist: Jeffrey B,
 replied 7 months ago

I understand.

How much watt does your power supply have?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey