My monitor resolution suddenly changed. It now displays a…

Customer Question
My monitor resolution suddenly...

My monitor resolution suddenly changed. It now displays a lower resolution.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Hp pavialion running on windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What hp model do you have?

Hp pavilion

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

It just happened suddenly a few hours ago. I checked the settings and it indicateds that the driver is ok.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Michelle, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

is the screen resolution low in all programs and desktop screen or is it any specific application in which you are facing the display issue

This sure is difficult and confusing! The icons are big and the resolutions is not as good as it was before.

Follow these steps
Click here for remote assistance
in the page that opens you will see just answer remote desktop..scroll down the page and click on i agree
it will download a file Elsinore screen connect exe at bottom of screen
once its downloaded, open\run the file ..you can double click on it to run it
once it starts to run it will ask do you want to allow the file to make changes...say yes to it

did the computer restart

it still has the same problem.

ok. seems i got cutoff from the remote session

click here to connect again

once restore completes, just click on the link above again to remote connect

michelleclive: hi
michelleclive: chele this side
michelleclive: michelle thsi side
michelleclive: i am now connected
Guest: thanks for helping me
michelleclive: you are welcome
michelleclive: ok so the screen resolution has gone big...is that correct
Guest: Yes, the icons are big and the resolution isn't as good
michelleclive: ok i will take mouse control and check
michelleclive: give me 2 mins here..c hecking something. dont move the mouse
michelleclive: how is this ...better or worse
Guest: It's the same
michelleclive: ok
michelleclive: was it working fine yesterday
Guest: Ithink that was better
michelleclive: the previous one
michelleclive: ?
Guest: Yes
michelleclive: ok
Guest: It's still different that what it wa before
michelleclive: when was the display working fine last time
Guest: Around 1:00 PM pacific time
michelleclive: ok i will perform few steps here..in teh process the comouter will restart
michelleclive: i should get reconnected automatically. howeverin aare case that i dont i will save thejustanswer chat page in your favorites so that you may reopen it
michelleclive: i will restart computer once
michelleclive: i am connected
michelleclive: i will now try to restore the settings to a date when resolution was fine
Guest: it might have been around 11:30 am
michelleclive: ok
michelleclive: hi
michelleclive: michelle this side
michelleclive: how is the screen now
Guest: the system restore did not work: Details: System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an antivirus program is running on the computer. Temporarly disable your antivirus program and retry system restore. That was the message.
michelleclive: and is the display same ?
Guest: The display is the same.
michelleclive: ok
michelleclive: did teh restore complete
Guest: It did not work. It's indicating that there is a conflict with the anti virus software. It's the same error message as the last time. The screen resolution is the same.
michelleclive: ok
michelleclive: by any chnace do you recall pressing any buttons on the monitor
Guest: Not that i know of. Do you mean when the problem started?
michelleclive: yes
Guest: When the screen turned black and then came back on with a differnet resolution my right hand was on the mouse. To the best of my memory.
michelleclive: the display driver itself has got corrupted
michelleclive: i am searching for the 4 bit version and will install the best match
Guest: Thanks for your help!
michelleclive: it seems that the driver is not getting installed
michelleclive: this could be due to a windows installer problem
michelleclive: if you see this windows installer window is stuck and not responding
Guest: That photo shop instaler thing has been going on for some time. Before microsoft helped me a couple of months ago with windows 10 that photo whatever it is would go away after 5 clicks. Since the windows 10 help it takes longer to go away.
Guest: I've had no problems installing software.
michelleclive: what i can do is a reset of pc settings
Guest: sounds like a plan
michelleclive: yes
michelleclive: thanks for your patience
michelleclive: i ran that scan just to be sure that its not some setting issue so that we could avoid the reset process but seems a pc reset is needed
michelleclive: i will reset the pc with keeping your filesoption so that your data doesnot get affected
michelleclive: will begin now
michelleclive: would like you to know that you might have to reinstall the softwares that you have added sepeartely and did not come with windows 10 installation
michelleclive: may i proceed
Guest: What does that mean?
michelleclive: like your games
Guest: What other software?
michelleclive: office, malwarebytes
michelleclive: firefox
Guest: I think it would be best to stop then. I still have access to e-mail. I wil have to take a time out figure out a solution in the next couple of days. This computer has served me well for the lat 5 plus years. It's time to go to bed. Thanks for your effort.
michelleclive: ok. you can post me a message on justanswer page if you need my help
michelleclive: i will exit from the session now

thanks

you may reply to me on this page