I have problem installing Ubuntu 14.04 on a laptop

Customer Question
Hi, I have problem...

Hi, I have problem installing Ubuntu 14.04 on a laptop preinstalled with windows 10,

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your laptop?

Give a min

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?

The brand is dell inspiration series , I have tried to install ubuntu 14.04 through both usb and dvd

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Can I ask the price for this?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
11/23/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The ubuntu operating system is a Linux type O.S.

When co-installed with Windows, first you have to either

A. start all over by re-partitioning the hard drive to have space for both Windows (first partition! won't work, generally not, if it isn't on the first partition and installed first!) and pre-installing Windows on the first partition, then installing Linux / ubuntu on the remaining partitions (generally for Linux at least two partitions, main and swap (that last, for virtual memory or swap-file usage) are needed. Preferably three: main/system partition, then user partition for user files and data files, then swap for swap-file usage.)

or more efficiently but more doubtfully and more chancily:

B. back up all your data from the Windows just in case, to another device e.g. a USB flash drive, then resize the Windows partition if necessary, to a smaller size, allowing space for the Linux partitions beyond the Windows partition on the disk.

That last, (B), requires a resizing utility.

As for price: I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.