Recommend decent Media player for Windows 10. I will pay for…

Customer Question
Please recommend decent Media...

Please recommend decent Media player for Windows 10. I will pay for it if necessary, but not if I have to download all sorts of other things

Technician's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thanks

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?

Sony, laptop with latest updated windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your computer?

Sony

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Sony VPCEH 1J1E L Bought bout 4 years ago. I've tried Blaze, and two other similar 'free' ones, but they wouldn't work immediately and asked for other things to be downloaded

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks, ***** ***** OK now after major upgrade in last few days

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message when playing a video or cd/dvd disk?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Sony laptop VPCEH 1J1E L About 4 years old, but fully updated recently. Apparently Media player was withdrawn when I upgraded to latest version of Windows 10. When I put a CD in nothing happens!
No need to connect, please just advise me what to buy to replace Windows Media Player that doesn't require all sorts of other things to be downloads - i.e simply to replace Windows Media Player.

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/
Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Also, this issue can be complicated. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.
Does the cd/dvd drive letter shows up in File Explorer / This PC?

How about with a small amount as shown for direct remote support?
Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

please read my last reply. Can you respond to that?

Yes, I was just giving you some options. I'd like to check if the cd/dvd drive letter shows up on your computer first; if it does not show up, then installing any media player would not work.

How do I check that. Where do I find file explorer?

Click on the yellow folder icon at bottom, or open any folder, then click on This PC option on the left, then check the cd/dvd drive letter there, thanks.

There is no yellow file folder at the foot of the screen. I have another identical laptop and that has the yellow sign and when I click on that it shows DVD RW Drive (D:) I read recently that Windows Media Player no longer works in Windows 10 so I think that I may have deleted it!

1. Press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and E on the computer's keyboard.

2. Click on option This PC on the left.

3. Then check if the cd/dvd drive letter is showing there.

Thanks,

39;This pc'. is not there. But I have found DVD/CD under devices and drivers and I clicked on DVD/CD and get a message saying that there is no program installed that relates to that. Perhaps I have dumped it. It says please install one. How?!

It's a lot easier and quicker for you if I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer's screen, but can you please download / install the free VLC media player software at the website below and check:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Please let me know. Thank you.

Were you able to download / install the VLC media player program and open / use it?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

I'm sorry. I cut you off in error this morning, but then downloaded VLC but had to stop any more activity as I have had two important rendezvous this morning and have only just returned home! I got up at 5 a.m. - I'm 84 and I'm now going to have some lunch and then sleep! I'll report back to you later, if I may. My apologies. Tim.
Hello, I’m back again now. I hope that you can help me.I have 2 identical Sony laptop. (Sony 4 and Sony 5) Both about 4 years old. Both VPCEH 1J1E L. Both upgraded to Windows 10, and both recently (in the last week) upgraded to current standard.Sony 4. I deleted Windows Media Player having read recently that it no longer worked. I have downloaded and installed VLC Media Player as you suggested.Sony 5. Still has Windows Media Player in it.I live in France and have a French LG Video recorder for recording TV programmes, which I wish to play on Sony 4.I also have a bought NTSC DVD which will not play in Sony 4.However the NTSC DVD will play in Sony 5, using Windows Media player.But when I put that disc into Sony 4 (with VLC) I am told:‘’Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details.’’Equally if I put a ‘home recorded DVD' into either Sony 4 or 5 I get the same response.However both the NTSC and the ‘home recorded discs’ will play in the LG recorder onto the TV.Please can you advise me? Please note I am not a computer expert so you will need to explain any actions that I need to take in reasonably simple terms. I am I hope, just a reasonably intelligent old man!Many thanks indeed. Tim.
Tech Support Specialist: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 4 months ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

how are you trying to playback the disk? Are you opening it via folder or network stream, or by open disk?

I'm sorry but I would not know one way from another. I put in the disc. Clicked on VLC. Selected Playback, then play then disc. It shows 'not responding' and I just hear a clicknig sound from the disc. That is using the NTSC disc. With the others I get that caption that I have explained to you already.
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Windows Media Player is supported, just not for DVD playback. So I recommend that you purchase and install Microsoft's Windows DVD Player to replace that functionality. You can purchase, download and install Windows DVD Player at the link below:

click here

It sounds like you are primarily concerned with DVD playback however if you plan on playing media that is not on CD/DVD, I recommend that you download and install Windows Media Player as well so that it is ready to use when you need it. First, check to see if you have an N edition of Windows 10 installed. To do this:

Press the Windows key + R at the same time.

Type: winver in the box that appears and press Enter.

If the window that opens states that Windows 10 Pro N or Windows 10 Home N is installed, then you need to install the Media Feature Pack. The link below will open the web page where you can download and install Windows Media Player 12 with the Media Feature Pack:

click here

If you need further assistance just let me know.

Thanks,

David.

David. 'Good morning'! I've just got up - at 5.00 a.m. and read your response. Thank you very much, it all seems excellently clear, so I'm going to do all that you suggest and will report back to soon - I hope. Thank you and have a nice day. Tim
Good morning again! Well I did as you suggested. Installed the Media Feature Pack and then paid for and installed Windows Media Player. Now I can play home recorded videos, but it still will not play the commercially made NTSC system one. When I put it in to the laptop I can feel it spinning and can hear a regular clicking sound but nothing else.,Conversely, on my other identical laptop which still has the old Windows Media Player n it I and can play the NTSC system DVD, but it won't play home recorded ones! (That's not the problem at the moment - just sent for information.) My problem is getting the new Windows Media Player to play the commercially made DVDs. Regards, Tim.
Incidentally David, Your message referred to 'Windows Media Player 12'. But the reference that you gave me took me to the Microsoft shop offering what they called 'Windows DVD Player'. Did I buy the right thing? It did say that I would be able to play commercially made DVDs.

Yes, the Windows DVD Player is the correct application to buy, and the Media Feature Pack should give you Windows Media Player but without NTSC DVD playback. So if you start the Windows DVD Player you just purchased, NTSC DVDs should play using that player.

Please let me know if that works or if there are still issues.

Thanks,

David.

No it won't play an NTSC system DVD. I've tried 2 different discs and as I said all I get is a clicking noise from the disc revolving. I tried to install the Media Feature Pack again, but it tells me that it is already installed. So where to now?!
Incidentally it will play DVDs that I have recorded at home, but the picture is squashed, but I can't see any means to alter the format, is it possible to do so? Regards Tim.

What version of Windows Media Player is installed and working on Sony 5? If I know the version I can give you a download for the same version that you can install and test on Sony 4 which should resolve the issue.

Sorry, I can't find any means of establishing which version of Windows Media Player is on Sony 5. It's either the original which came with, I think, Windows 7 when I bought these laptops in October 2011, or was upgraded when I installed Windows 10.
On Sony 4 it assures me that it has the latest upgrade of Windows and the Media Feature Pack is defined as KB3010081. 111.475 KB. Please can you tell me how to establish what version of Windows Media Player is on Sony 5? Thanks.

Yes, please open Windows Media Player on Sony 5 and click About Windows Media Player on the Help menu in and then note the version number below the Copyright notice. You can also press ALT + H on your keyboard to open the Help menu and then click About Windows Media Player to see the version number. Then post the version here and I will provide you with a download link for that version.

Thanks.

Thanks. Version 12.0.15063.608 Windows Media Player 2013

My apologies for the delay.

If you are using the free 7 day trial of the Windows DVD Player, you will not be able to play the NTSC DVDs (DVD movies) with the player - only once the player is licensed. So if you are still using the trial version, that could be the problem with playing your NTSC discs.

Another option that I am about to test is installing the Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 onto Windows 10 since that is the player that was working for you and recently deleted. So if I install it successfully on my Windows 10 computer, I will provide you with the procedure because that would essentially give you the same configuration on Sony 4 that you have now on Sony 5, which was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with Windows Media Player still working.

The download for Windows 7 Media Feature Pack is at the link below:

click here

David - good morning! Firstly, I didn't install the 7 day Free version. I paid £12.49 and that already appears on my credit card statement. I tried to download - onto Sony 4 - Service park (KB9682110) I selected x64 version.
Then I got the following message: Installer encountered an error 0x80096002. The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found. Whatever that means! Sorry this is such a problem but I appreciate your efforts very much, thank you.

Please try the install again by following the procedure below:

Right-click on the setup file and click on Properties.

Click on the Compatibility tab, check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for, and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, reboot the computer and test to see if the installation was successful and if Windows Media Player is working the same as on Sony 5.

Sorry Dave. Still a problem. I downloaded it again to be sure that I got it right. KB968211. Right clicked on entry in 'downloads' and got up the 'property' details but I cannot see the mention of 'Compatibility' anywhere.
I tried to install it again but simply got the same caption as before.

Ok then next click the Windows Start button then the Search box and type Downloads in the Search box. Then click on the Downloads folder icon that appears in the Search list to open the Downloads folder. Then find the downloaded the Windows 7 Media Feature Pack file (which should be the file with the most current date and time listed as well) then right click on it, click Properties in the menu that appears, and follow the remaining instructions above to run in compatibility mode.

Please let me know the result.

Dave that, in principle, is exactly what I did before. But there isn't a compatibility tab. I just get 'General/Digital Sig./Security/Details/Previous Versions' and none of those take me to the word compatibility. I clicked on the most recent download which was at 7.43 this morning, it's now 8.16

Ok, then right click on the file and click the Create Shortcut option in the menu that appears.

Then click the link below and follow the instructions to run in compatibility mode by right clicking on the shortcut to the file rather than right clicking on the file itself:

click here

Please let me know if you have questions with any of the steps.

I'm sorry Dave. I've tried everything. I even downloaded it yet again and created a shortcut, but every time - right or left click - I get the same choice of options without 'compatibility'. I even followed the instructions on the groovepost site but still the same things happens.
David, you specifically said go to the EXE file How do I find that, when I download it I don't see that file. I sometimes do, but not for this. Is that the problem?

The location of the downloaded file depends upon the configuration of the web browser. Click the Windows Start button then type Downloads in the Search box and then click on the Downloads directory that appears in the Search list to open the Downloads directory. Then find the most recent files in the directory which should include the Windows 7 Media Feature Pack installation file. Then right click on the file (the name of the downloaded file is Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg.msu) and follow the remaining instructions above to run it in compatibility mode. If you still have trouble finding the file please let me know.

David, I've done exactly what you suggested. Located the Download file, found Windows 6.1 KB968211. Right clicked on it. Click on Create shortcut and then right click on that. I get the details with tabs. There are 5 tabs: General/Shortcut/Security/Details/Previous Versions. There is no tab marked Compatibility. I've done this now a dozen times and it just doesn't have Compatibility there. So what do I do now? Incidentally I found the Compatibility tab when I did the same for Windows 7 Media Feature Pack Installation File. This computer was originally Windows 7, but now upgraded to Windows 10, but Windows 10 didn't appear in the list of options. Do you have an answer to this? Thanks.

Ok, I think I understand what is happening. Configuring compatibility for the Windows 7 Media Feature Pack installation file is what I am asking you to do so that the installation file runs as if it is being installed on Windows 7. In theory running the Windows 7 Media Feature Pack installation file in Windows 7 compatibility mode will enable it to install without errors.

This computer was initially running Windows 7, before it was upgraded to Windows 10.
I did what you suggested for Microsoft Windows Media, with the same result - No Compatibility tab.
So I then tried Windows 10 Upgrade 9252 and there is a Compatibility tab there. I selected Windows 7, but it now tells me that it has upgraded to Windows 8. I clicked on DVD player, put in the NTSC disc as asked and nothing happens, just a clicking noise from the disc as previously.
David. This is the 40th message that I have sent and received regarding this matter and I don't seem to be getting anywhere.
Reading the Microsoft site regarding Windows Feature Media player it indicates that it is to be downloaded to computers still running Windows 7 so that they can be upgraded to run current Media and DVDs. So why am I trying to use in on a computer that is already running Windows 10?

I am just working to provide you with a media player that meets your needs. You mentioned that the player was on your Windows 10 system and somehow got deleted. Microsoft offers the Windows DVD Player as an option and for some reason on your computer it is not working. So I figure since Windows Media Player was on the computer, and since it is working on an identical computer with Windows 10, if you can get Windows Media Player installed again on Sony 4 you will get what you want - the same features and performance that you had before Windows Media Player was deleted from the system. Unfortunately Microsoft makes it difficult to install Windows Media Player onto a Windows 10 system while retaining the same functionality the player has when operating under Windows 7. But in my experience, installations such as that are difficult but not impossible. So rather than suggest another player such as VLC (which is what is recommended by most people and web sites) which does not meet your needs, I figure that with a little more effort installing Windows Media Player back on the computer you will get exactly what you want. I aim to provide excellent service and meet your requirements if at all possible. I even have a Windows 10 system here that is staged to test Windows Media Player installation if need be so I can provide a procedure for you to follow that will enable Windows Media Player installation.

If your requirements are different than what I have stated above please let me know. I am just working to deliver on what you have requested.

Thanks,

David.

David. Thank you for your explanation. You did mention some days ago that you would try and install the Media Player onto Windows 10. Did you succeed? I have already installed VLC on Sony 4 and it plays my 'home recorded' DVDs but not, as you say, NTSC. That is my problem and any solution that you can come up with would be appreciated. Excuse my impatience, but we didn't seem to be making much progress - lets hope we can solve this. At least VLC allows me to alter the format to 16:9, but Windows Media Player doesn't seem to have that facility. Thank you for your efforts.

Ok then I will test installation on my Windows 10 computer, document the procedure and then post here for you.

David, thank you for your efforts. It is now approaching 2 weeks since I first raised this query and I don't seem to have made any progress so far - after more than 40 emails backwards and forwards. Therefore I have ordered a 'stand alone' DVD player which I am assured will play every type of DVD. This will resolve my problem, thus am I entitled to have my $36 returned?
just speak with customer service and they will help you and address the charges.
David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer